Fly Fusion Forums

I Can't Get My Rod Up...time To Order Custom Or Off The Shelf?

sloken

Well as luck would have it, I bought a new Echo boost 3 weeks ago.

My budding quiver was a 8' 4wt Boost for smaller creeks and hike in lakes, an old 9' 6wt fenwick eagle I got at an intro to casting class, and a 10' Dragonfly 7wt I used for salmon in BC and now use to huck streamers.

I was out this weekend on the highwood and went to backcast with a small streamer and no sink tip on the Fenwick, and then suffered from rod ED. My fly didn't cast and I looked back and my rod was bent over in the middle at an embarrassing angle. I hadn't stepped on it or dropped it or slammed in a car door to my recollection...but oh well. Something led to it breaking.

Anyways, it was a piece of crap to begin with, I hated the cork (so many voids that tore into my hands when casting with wet hands all day) and am not that torn up. It bugs me that it hadnt broken sooner - then I would have got a 5 wt to replace it, then got a 3wt Echo boost as my small water rod (and been able to budget better).

Seeing as how theres a couple months left in the season, I am itching to replace the 6wt daily driver rod asap. I'm debating between contacting Pieroway (looking at the Element rod, but have heard mixed reviews on delayed customer service) vs picking up something like an Echo 3 10' 6wt, or the Loop Q in a 9' 6wt. This will be used for nymphing/dries on the Bow and rivers of southern alberta, and maybe even taking it up to some lakes. My budget is ~$300-500...I wish I could go higher but I wasn't planning on buying 2 new setups in the same month.

What would you guys suggest I look at?

Buy something good. A 5 or 6 is going to be your work horse. These echo bases and tfo bvks give you a bit more than what you pay for. Sure they cast decently, but they weigh a lot and the finish is cheap.

Tired of everyone pumping them up for more than they are.

Before everyone hates, I own a bvk.

Everyone will suggest whatever their favourite rod is, but it may not end up being your favourite. Go to your favourite fly shop, tell them your price range and what you want to do with it. Have them grab every rod that fits the description. Cast them all, eliminate the ones that you don't like right away, narrow down and cast your favourite few again, then decide. It can also help a lot if you already have your favourite line to test them with. I've seen people come back to shops with the rod they just bought that cast great when they tested it, but not so good with the line they put on it. If the rod cast great at the shop with a Rio Grand it isn't necessarily going to cast the way you like with a Trout LT on it.

• Like 1

I second what Burning has said. For example i think the TFO BVK casts like garbage but i know Lots of people who love them; However i think the TFO Impact is an amazing rod and one of my favorite rods out of a lot of other very expensive rods that i own. It really is all about what works for you, I would also mention that as you are looking for a rod the same brand and wt in a rod will cast totally different according to its length. Test the length you intend to buy.

I second what Burning has said. For example i think the TFO BVK casts like garbage but i know Lots of people who love them; However i think the TFO Impact is an amazing rod and one of my favorite rods out of a lot of other very expensive rods that i own. It really is all about what works for you, I would also mention that as you are looking for a rod the same brand and wt in a rod will cast totally different according to its length. Test the length you intend to buy.

Good to know. I've read a lot re: the BVK and would only consider it for chucking streamers at an 8wt.

I looked at the TFO impact this morning and liked it, but I need to make a longer stop at the shop to be able to test cast a bunch.

Burning Chrome and Troutlover offer great advice.

For your casting short list perhaps consider lighter gear. I too found the BVK quite heavy when I've fished several friends BVK's in 5wt and 6wt.

Consider a look at the Orvis Recon line up.

(also believe in the FFC trading post there is a forum member selling his 5wt (10') at a pretty sharp price)....you did clearly note a 6wt i realize....just sharing

Finally, many of the fly shops are clearing out disco and demo rods. Perhaps phone around and you can score a deal on a 6wt if it suits your casting.

Pieroway Note: My Dad grabbed an Element from Geoff last year and quite likes it. No customer service issues, you just need to realize that Geoff is not a 7day a week fly shop that you can stop by. Just make an appointment with him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...