Fly Fusion Forums

Ok To Fish Southern Ab?

Dad and I are planning our annual trip to southern AB this year; we delayed it a bit, hoping for cooler temperatures and - fingers crosses - some precipitation.

Any forecasters out there want to speculate on what the water conditions will be like for the September long weekend? Water levels, water temps? We're thinking the usual haunts; Crow, Castle, Oldman (upper and mid).

I am assuming that close to the mountains, maybe the nights are starting to get colder, and, even if the region doesn't get much precipitation between now and then, there will be enough night time cooling to make it worthwhile...

Thoughts? Reports from down there?

Cheers,

Smitty

Water temp on the Crow was 62F today. Nights are definitely showing cooler for the next while on the forecast, and daytime highs not nearly so scorching. I think we are past the worst of it. Water levels are very low though.

I spent the past few days fishing in the area, and the further downstream I went the higher the temps. Got to 65F but the upper reaches were in the high 50's. The fish were very selective and very feisty. No problem with exhaustion, I think the low water levels are making them suspicious.