Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Closures - Can Anyone Confirm?

Found on the Redneck Board (Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum), can anyone confirm?

Hot Weather Leads To Fishing Closures

Category: Local News Published: Tuesday, 01 August 2017 04:39 Written by Russell Skeet

highwood_river_july24_2017_001.JPG

It may look inviting for a swim, but when it comes to angling the Highwood River is off limits until it cools off.

If you plan on doing any fishing in the near future, you're going to need to limit it to area lakes.

Just about every river in and around the Foothills, and through a good part of Southwestern Alberta is closed to angling thanks to low water levels and high temperatures.

It just makes it too hard on the fish, particularly if you're practicing catch and release.

In the immediate area, the Highwood River from it's headwaters all the way to the Bow River is closed, as is the Sheep River, from it's headwaters to where it meets the Highwood.

Significant areas of the Bow River are closed as well.

Here's the list of area closures:

Highwood River from headwaters to Bow River

Sheep River from the headwaters to the Highwood River including Gorge Creek and tributaries

Oldman River from Highway 22 downstream to Secondary Road 510, river only

Willow Creek, main stem and tributaries from Chain Lakes downstream to Pine Coulee Reservoir Diversion Head pond.

Bow River from Bearspaw Reservoir to the W.H.D. Weir

Bow River from W.H.D Weir to the Carseland Weir

Bow River from Carseland Weir to Highway 24 bridge

Bow River from Highway 24 bridge downstream to Bassano Dam

Elbow River from Glenmore Reservoir to the Bow River confluence

Castle River and tributaries downstream of SH 507 to Highway 3, including Screwdriver Creek, Beaver Mines Creek and Mill Creek

Pincher Creek and tributaries

St. Mary River, downstream of the St. Mary Reservoir and tributaries

Belly River, downstream of Secondary Road 800

Threepoint Creek and tributaries

Jumpingpound Creek from headwaters to the Bow River

Little Red Deer River and tributaries from headwaters downstream to Red Deer River, including Dogpound Creek and tributaries

Waterton River and all tributaries upstream of Waterton Reservoir, including Drywood Creek

Waterton River downstream of Waterton Reservoir, river only.

Whoops, spoke too soon...

Upon further checking we have realized we reported the facts incorrectly. There are no restrictions in place at this time.

We have since removed the story from High River Online, our Facebook and Twitter accounts and are in the process of putting together a retraction.

Kevin Wallace

Program Director

99.7 Sun Country / AM 1140 / High River Online

According to the guy in line at Crappy Tire on Saturday morning, "...the Bow is closed to fishing. I was suppose to float it today but got the call late last night that we're not going.". Haha. Maybe they didn't want you on the boat Senor Blowhard? I didn't want to say anything as I don't mind fishing when no one else is around :P.

And then I was down south on the Old Man the same day, I heard the exact same thing from another person.

Maybe we should tell everybody that no more inflatables with loud music are allowed on the Bow either.

• Like 1

So quiet in the mountains.....heavenly

It really is nice, was there yesterday with Steve and David. No quads ripping up and down the road and only a few random campers.

The water levels are lower than last week but the temps seem to be still in the safe zone. The fish recover quickly and are feisty whe caught. Seems to be a lot of Bull trout around this year.

I concur was out yesterday and the water temp was 63 F at the hottest time of the day. And I have seen the water level lower than this in past years. I'm no hydro-geologist but perhaps the big snow we had this past winter has given a nice groundwater recharge.

I concur was out yesterday and the water temp was 63 F at the hottest time of the day. And I have seen the water level lower than this in past years. I'm no hydro-geologist but perhaps the big snow we had this past winter has given a nice groundwater recharge.