Fly Fusion Forums

Panther River

Hello everyone. I will be heading up to the panther river to camp and fish in about 2 weeks. We will be staying at sunset guiding right on the river. Has anyone fished up there? I hear that they have Cuts and Bulls. Any tips as I usually fly fish the Bow. Thanx

Small dries for cutts. Streamers for bulls. Most important thing is to carry bear spray or bigger. I generally pack a Marlin 45-70 in that area.I know they've had lots of grizzly with cub sightings this summer so far.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey northfork as soon as I saw this report tonight .... I remembered this post and your "preminition" .... I was gonna write a comment patting you on the back and talk about how you really know your stuff .... but it looks like you beat me to it LOL!!

http://globalnews.ca/news/3695057/man-escapes-bear-attack-is-airlifted-to-hospital-in-sundre-alta/

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I will be heading up to the panther river to camp and fish in about 2 weeks. We will be staying at sunset guiding right on the river. Has anyone fished up there? I hear that they have Cuts and Bulls. Any tips as I usually fly fish the Bow. Thanx

Hey Pecscore this wasn't you was it ?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3695057/man-escapes-bear-attack-is-airlifted-to-hospital-in-sundre-alta/

Being that area is just outside the park boundaies/It would be a shame if it was relocated bear.Dropped off in the back country.The one grizzly in Waipourous was dropped .Up in Kakwa area.Problem bears should be dealt with.

Brian, Agreed. There has been several problem bears relocated that have made their way back. Lots getting moved from parks to Wilmore only to show back up in Park a couple years later. At least the government is starting to admit the variance and amount of potential error in their population assessments when they revealed 500 bears remaining in Alberta. I would bet there is at least 1/4 of that south of highway 3.

Without opening up a can of worms, these continually increasing bear encounters and issues could warrant re-employing a once-effective tool. Though with the NDP closing the grizzly hunts in BC without much consultation this year, it would not fare well for the Alberta NDP if this management tool was revisited. As if the NDP was going to fare well anyhow. Grizzly bears are territorial and have large home ranges. Unfortunately Alberta is continually fragmenting good grizzly habitat and bears are getting pushed further and further east. In these parts at least once a year people report grizzly kills on livestock. They have nowhere else to go. Instead of trying to manage the population for the amount of habitat we once had, the government should be trying some more proactive, progressive solutions. If the hunt was re-opened that would help to effectively manage a SUSTAINABLE grizzly population within the province's current carrying capacity. This is the trouble with groups such as the Y2Y, they do not have all the facts. The wildlife management here in many aspects is comparable to the fisheries management, manage for TODAY AND TOMORROW don't try to manage for the past. When are we as a society going to learn from our mistakes?

• Like 4

• 2 years later...