Fly Fusion Forums

Boundary For Motor Boats On Bow

Is the motor boat boundary the Deerfoot extender bridge just above Policeman's?

The navy "power drifter" that jetted up this morning didn't seem too interested when asked why he was way above the bridge today. Perhaps he is more special than all the other "guides".

It is indeed that line. Call them in if they're above it, particularly if you can get their plate off the side. I know at least one guide who had the cops knock on his door when he did that.. If they're guiding (and you know who it is), pretty easy to complain to the shop about it.

So when this happens who do you call, police, RAP? Saw someone by the 17th Ave Blackfoot bridge yesterday with what definitely looked like a civilian craft.

Call CPS. It's their jurisdiction.

Those that have a permit through Transport Canada have typically alerted the fire department and CPS as part of their approval, so worst case is they'll know about it ahead of time.

• Like 2

The only authority would appear to issue tickets for powerboat use in the city within the Water Act designation area is the Calgary Police Department or RCMP.

Life-jackets come under Calgary Bylaws, therefore both the CPD and bylaw enforcement officers have jurisdiction to issue tickets. Alberta Solicitor General Conservation Offices can issue tickets for any federal Water Act violation in and downstream of Calgary.

Calgary Fire Department has no enforcement powers for any of the above, just harass you.

The Provincial Government has concerns with powerboat use, primary because of complaints and the potential risk to the public. This will become a bigger issue as the city grows with more people floating not only the city, but downstream to McKinnon's. Especially if someone get hit by a power boat. I only hope it wont be the CFD!

As with everything in our so called civil society, those abusers of the law will spoil it for the 90% who comply.

• Like 2

I had this question as well. Saw a guy motor up on Tuesday evening last week. In a light coloured Jon boat with a jet. He didn't seem to mind blowing up the river. Next time if I see this older gentleman smoking a cigarette. I will be sure to call them in.

So sorry has the question been answered ? What is the boundary.

For the longest time it was the pump.

My nieghbor does some welding for heritage point FD and he asked last season this question and they said pump below 22x.

The city limits is on the north side of Deerfoot bridge but not on south?

I don't go up there anymore now the bridge is there and the place is crawling with fishermen.

I see now many vehicles driving up and down the river bank parking in the trees sneaking in from the construction side upstream of bridge.

Don't hear any whining about this ?

So sorry has the question been answered ? What is the boundary.For the longest time it was the pump.My nieghbor does some welding for heritage point FD and he asked last season this question and they said pump below 22x.The city limits is on the north side of Deerfoot bridge but not on south?I don't go up there anymore now the bridge is there and the place is crawling with fishermen.I see now many vehicles driving up and down the river bank parking in the trees sneaking in from the construction side upstream of bridge.Don't hear any whining about this ?

It's the bridge. Pretty easy to find the city limits online

http://www.calgary.ca/CityCouncil/Pages/WardBoundaryMap.aspx

• Like 1

I don't get why everyone gets so upset about jet boats but i guess I'm the only one? It can be a bit of a piss off when one pulls into the hole you have been working up to but I've had drift boats and pontoons do the same. Most of them are pretty respectful, run the middle of the river and slow down for anglers more than the enforcement boats. Its not like most places in the city section are quiet and serene anyway?

The southern boundary for power boat restrictions was the old city limits on a line extending east of the south end of Blue Devil Golf Course at 194 Ave SW. In other words, the south boundary of Section 20, Township 22, Range 29, west of the 4th Meridian. This point of reference was written into law a few years back.

To extend it further downstream to the current city limits at the Deerfoot Bridge legislation will need to be changed. Expect this to take place.

The southern boundary for power boat restrictions was the old city limits on a line line extending east of the south end of Blue Devil Golf Course at 194 Ave SW. In other words, the south boundary of Section 20, Township 22, Range 29, west of the 4th Meridian. This point of reference was written into law a few years back.

To extend it further downstream to the current city limits at the Deerfoot Bridge legislation will need to be changed. Expect this to take place.

So as it stands you can still run to the pump at 194th ?

Again this is what fire dept indicated last year.

Although the powerboat restrictions within the city are what they are until government authorities make a change. The issue most of the angling community has revolves around irresponsible behaviour. What gets me is the speed of many boats within 30 meters of the bank. With a few exceptions, the law states:
  • It is illegal to operate at greater than an unposted speed limit of 10 km/h (6 mph) within 30 metres (100 feet) of the shore line

This does not grant power boat users the right to charge down the middle of the river at any speed they like. Safety of the public, protection of habitat and bank erosion are at stake here.

As with "Report-a-Poacher", citizen action does get results and it is hoped that the same would be true with complaints on power boat infractions. But it may be impossible to enforce the current boating laws without a greater presence of city police and provincial conservation offices on the river.

• Like 1