Fly Fusion Forums

Walleye Tactics On The Fly For 10+ Pounds

Hi everybody! I don't post often anymore but browse every now and then.

I hope your all fantastic and enjoying the beautiful rivers and lakes in Alberta, myself lve been givin a great opportunity too catch world record class walleye and bass as a guide at a lodge in North western Ontario the "canadian shield" l was hoping you guys could share some tactics you would try? I'm not a beginner by no means but would love to hear some of yours even if you've never fished here before. They're definitely eating live minnows, a fellow today caught a 32" walleye and 27"+ are normal everyday around here on live bait but l wanna be the guy on the fly with them lve hooked a few with a black,purple, and white clouser but snapped me off, l have fast sinking line and floating so l should be able to cover alot of area's. Also the temperature hasn't been consistent at all, low of 7 tonight lol, any help is greatly appreciated and if you don't wanna post it a pm is just as good! Hope everybody has a great summer I'm already missing the Bow and all the other trout spots feels weird but exciting exploring new area!

Two small clousers in tandem has produced well for me. Hard part in those lakes is getting it down to where they are (usually bottom). No matter what you use just know you're never gonna outfish the guys bottom bouncing or using leeches or minnows.

• Like 1

Fishing shield lakes for walleye is challenging but possible. Clouser minnows, zonkers, or crayfish patterns are good. Patterns that ride hook side up (like a clouser minnow) will help. Like others have said, you need to fish the bottom and rocky shield lakes are hook eaters.

Once the water temperature exceeds 17C, the walleye go deep and your only chance on the fly are the crepuscular hours or dead of night. Northern Ontario is a big swath of land, but most of which is still further south than Edmonton.

I spend July in Ontario in the Sudbury area, and I spend that time fishing almost exclusively for smallies. The lakes warm up so much (23-25C) that the walleye (and even pike) retreat to depths exceeding 6m, and even with full sink line, it would be an extreme lesson in patience to target walleye.

But smallmouth come into their prime when the water hits 20C. I consistently out fish conventional anglers with my fly rod, especially when you know the fish are active. Poppers in the morning/evening. Clousers/zonkers on a floating line when you see active fish (swirls and busting the surface). I like to use an intermediate line for prospecting.

Sounds like you are fishing Shoal Lake which is total catch and release and the reason they are the size they are. Type 6 full sink and clousers, zonkers, etc..... will do the job. If you are out there early ie for opener you can find them in much shallower water..... still own a piece of land out there and spent all my youth fishing the area although mostly for smallies on the fly

If you are there for a bit and have a boat and trailer try getting up to rushing river also a great place for big eyes. Some friends of mine still own a couple of lodges on LOTW ..... fabulous area I sure miss it..... sucks to get old and have responsibilities..... I get invites to come down every year but have a hard time finding the time