Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Repairs

After suffering with a leaky pontoon this weekend I went online this morning to try and find a repair kit as the one that came with my boat has long since disappeared. As it happens, if you can't find one at your favorite fishing store Lee Valley has Tear-Aid kits, which is what Outcast sells on their website for their products. Type A for a urethane bladder (Outcast) and Type B for vinyl (Fishcat).

• Like 2

I've had repairs done at Auto Marine in Calgary and can recommend them. They know what they are doing and you can be confident a patch isn't going to blow off while you're out in the middle of a lake.

• Like 2

I've had repairs done at Auto Marine in Calgary and can recommend them. They know what they are doing and you can be confident a patch isn't going to blow off while you're out in the middle of a lake.

I second this, i get all my work done by them!

It is very unlikely that any patch will "blow off while you're out in the middle of a lake". Once the patch is on and the pontoon is inflated, the bladder is pressed so hard up against the pontoon skin, that is should be fine even if the repair is home done.

I patched the bladder on my boat over the weekend and the Tear-Aid material works as advertised, which is to say very well. Literally, find the hole, dry the area, wipe it clean with an alcohol wipe (included in the kit), peel the patch off and stick it place and the repair is done. Nothing against any other product or having a professional repair done, but this is what the manufacturer recommends and it could be done as quickly and effectively on the banks of a river or lake as in your living room.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Princess Auto is selling off the remainder of their Tear Aid repair kits. On clearance: $5.73 ea. I carry both Type A & Type B in my safety kit. Even at the regular price, they are well worth the money. These patches will get you back on the water in no time. I've had to use them on two separate occasions.

• Thanks 2