Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Flipped At Policemans

Yesterday, Thursday May 11, right at Policemans launch, or slightly down, black and white clacka. If anyone floating or walking police down could keep an eye out and text or call 514-967-6345 if you spot it that would be greatly appreciated.

People. If you're unsure of your ability to get into Policemens safely, kick the rest of your group out at the top and make them walk down. A boat with just a rower in it is a joke to maneuver.. we're still at a relatively low level, it's just going to get bigger.. if you're really unsure, don't float into police!

Hopefully they get their boat back, will be curious to see how a clacka does in comparison to an aluminum.

• Like 7

If you have never been in the situation it would blow your mind how quickly a sideways boat hung up on the bottom will flip. Please if you are new to rowing and remember one thing it is this. Keep the nose of the boat pointing down stream. A sideways boat will cause problems. Glad everyone is okay.

• Like 5

Between a myself and a cpl other boats found a bit of their stuff.

No sign of boat, pretty tough with high water and low vis.

Hard to say how the fibreglass boat will hold up.

I remember one at Mac some time ago that was pretty much torn to shreds over a 24hr period. Guess it depends on where and what it gets stuck againest.

higher water conditions only makes policemans flats boat launch tougher.

Guess they're just going to wait for someone to die before pulling those two boulders out.

Is that displaced rip rap? If so, that could be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Honestly the government seriously needs to do something about those.....it wouldn't take much to make that launch 1000 times safer. How do we reach out?

I have not taken out at Policeman's since the 2013 flood for the exact reason for what has happened.

AEP has short term improvements planned for Policeman's as a part of their Bow River Access Plan that is being prepared for release for comment shortly. The longer term goal is for a new boat ramp either downstream or across the river.

A part of Bow River Trout's engagement with AEP, we made a proposal for a new river access at the site just downstream of the current access, in the same general area of the original boat ramp. Removing some of the big rocks was also discussed.

I'll speak to AEP on Monday to get and update on BRAP..

• Like 1

I have not taken out at Policeman's since the 2013 flood for the exact reason for what has happened.

AEP has short term improvements planned for Policeman's as a part of their Bow River Access Plan that is being prepared for release for comment shortly. The longer term goal is for a new boat ramp either downstream or across the river.

A part of Bow River Trout's engagement with AEP, we made a proposal for a new river access at the site just downstream of the current access, in the same general area of the original boat ramp. Removing some of the big rocks was also discussed.

I'll speak to AEP on Monday to get and update on BRAP..

Thanks for your help!!

Honestly it's not that bad....if those big rocks were removed the risk of accidents would be dramatically decreased. Appreciate your work!

Really, if someone put up signs and indicated the downstream spot so people would stop parking there, would solve a lot. I used that to launch for the last two years, and its way easier to get in and out of.. people just keeping parking in the way as it's become the defacto parking lot

Really, if someone put up signs and indicated the downstream spot so people would stop parking there, would solve a lot. I used that to launch for the last two years, and its way easier to get in and out of.. people just keeping parking in the way as it's become the defacto parking lot

Theres another spot to take in/out???

Is it about 200 yards down stream down that little path/road to the east of the parking lot?

• Like 2

100 feet downstream of the riprap back eddy, exact same spot as the pre-pre-2013 launch (not the terrible 90 degree spot). Clearing in the trees, perfect launch. Unfortunately most people are parking in front of it. Last year it looked like someone was trying to flag it off to stop people parking and no one listened

Dropped pin

near Foothills No. 31, AB

https://goo.gl/maps/jBkzFEbzuUo

That road is private

The boat was taking a real beating, seen it crashing by downstream pass the red house.

What color was the boat by chance. A friend of a friend of mine just bought a clacka this year. Cant seem to get any info just hoping it wasn't his boat been a first year drifter and all.

I believe the drift boat will end up down by the Red House - river left. Hung up on the rocks close to the shore. Anyone else care to guess?

I spoke to AEP this morning. Their Bow River Access Plan is due to be released to the public for comment on June 01, 2017. Hopefully there will be some early repairs and improvement given to Policeman's Flats.