Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Flows Will Increase This Week

If you are planning on fishing the Bow River over the next few days be aware that the Bow River flows will increase from 76 cms today to 120 cms tomorrow and into the weekend. This increase is part of a TransAlta and AEP draw down project to reduce the possibility of Calgary flooding during spring runoff.

Go to the following link for current conditions and on a regular basis over the spring and summer months. The flow forecast will be updated on Monday, Wednesday and Friday

https://bowrivertrout.org/2017/05/10/ghost-reservoir-draw-down-started/

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm pretty new to fly fishing and havent experienced this transitional flow season on the bow yet. Will the fishing be very difficult the next few days due to water clarify and other things or should I expect to still have some luck doing what has been working the last few weeks?

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm pretty new to fly fishing and havent experienced this transitional flow season on the bow yet. Will the fishing be very difficult the next few days due to water clarify and other things or should I expect to still have some luck doing what has been working the last few weeks?

Anybody who has been fly fishing the Bow for the last 2 years has not really experienced 'typical' conditions. It is really hard to say how it will affect the river. The banks are fairly dirty, but I predict that we will see an improvement in the fishing even if the clarity drops. Higher water allows fish to move around and for people on foot, it usually brings them closer to the bank.

Even then, 120 cms is not that high; it is really just the upper end of average for this time of year or the flow you would expect mid-August.

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/basins/DisplayData.aspx?Type=Figure&BasinID=8&DataType=1&StationID=RBOWCALG

• Like 2