Fly Fusion Forums

My Encounter With A Conservation Officer

I have had great experiences with the COs (one named Jordan in particular) out at Crawling Valley, even when they've busted me for having a beer in the boat.

I got busted in June two years ago and was issued a warning. They had us dump out the cans and took the empties. I got a call from the CO about 4 months later, he mentioned that he actually wasn't allowed to seize the cans and wanted to know if I wanted them back. I told him to give them to the Girl Scouts or put them in the recycling. I ran into him again the next year (no beer this time, lesson learned) and we had a good laugh about the whole thing.

Really glad to hear that CVR fished well. C&R only should do that lake well.

• Like 3

I have a seasonal spot out there. Last year I was caught with beer by Jordan too. Same thing with warning.

How's one supposed to walleye fish without beer? Kidding of course. Crawling is my favourite place to fish.

I have had great experiences with the COs (one named Jordan in particular) out at Crawling Valley, even when they've busted me for having a beer in the boat.

I got busted in June two years ago and was issued a warning. They had us dump out the cans and took the empties. I got a call from the CO about 4 months later, he mentioned that he actually wasn't allowed to seize the cans and wanted to know if I wanted them back. I told him to give them to the Girl Scouts or put them in the recycling. I ran into him again the next year (no beer this time, lesson learned) and we had a good laugh about the whole thing.

Really glad to hear that CVR fished well. C&R only should do that lake well.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to fish the Upper Bow and environs as it's close to home and the scenery is so nice. In the past 10 years, only two encounters with COs - both were quietly calm and professional. They are well trained and they perform a very important job on behalf of us all.

One time I was watched by an onlooker while fishing who wandered along the bank and we fell into conversation, as you do. He was a CO from BC on vacation and camping nearby. My daughter was about 11 and fishing about 60 metres downstream beside my wife. She caught something, unhooked it and trotted all the way u[stream to me clutching a 35 cm Whitefish that was gasping by the time she got to me. :eek: She was proud and and wanted to show me the fish... we got it into the water quickly and it was fine, but I had a moment there when I was worried the fish might not make it! The gentleman CO just chuckled, and observed politely (and correctly) that Whitefish make up a large portion of the bio-mass in this part of the river and a dead one wouldn't be the end of the world. I asked him if since he was from BC how he knew there were lots of Whitefish in the Upper Bow? He was born and raised in the Valley... back home on his vacation. Another small world vignette... nice guy to boot.

• Like 2