Fly Fusion Forums

Asian Crap

I believe Carp can be also called Crap (see fly fishers handbook for definition). They have been reported in the Bow, and a great many ponds in the Edmonton and Calgary area. I have seen them live in Asian markets. Not a big step for someone who wants free fish to do a bucket brigade.

Are you talking about Prussian carp? There are lots in lake Newell and Rolling Hills reservoir. Caught my first one about three years ago and it was about half the size of my hand. Saw hundreds of them a few weeks ago and they are the size of footballs.

I have seen them in the bow.I can understand somewhat,with that.That flood of 2013 flushed out alot of backyard ponds along the Elbow.But to hear they are in Airdrie ponds,Calgary storm ponds[country hills lake].It is what i believe is leftover of aW.Disney show free eimo.AO has many posts of sightings in Blood Indian,Dewitts Pond,Dolberg.The only Munipality to really get after them .Has been the town of Okotoks they apparently got the gov to Roetone them in there ponds.I don't no where it's going to end.With many lake communities now stocking Brookies,Browns,Grass Carp.Most are infested with perch.Who nos what the gov. is doing about.The blind eye,that they have given,has allowed this to spread,.The bucket brigade to no end.IMHO

Lots of Prussian Carp in the Red Deer below the city Red Deer down

Okotoks pond was rotenoned for goldfish I believe

Lots of carp below Bassano in the Bow and irrigation system

All started from a guy with a Talapia farm by Strathmore. He released carp into an irrigation ditch that eventually gets to the Red Deer river below Drumheller. Then it was up to the bucket brigade to start moving carp everywhere

Sorry. Poor phrasing. I'm looking more for locations and timing. Timing more so. I checked out Weed Lake and Langdon Res last fall, but I think maybe it was a bit late in the year. Considering the extent they have spread I didn't figure it would be hard to find a few, but so far no luck.

• 1 year later...
On 2017-05-08 at 5:51 PM, Conor said:

Sorry. Poor phrasing. I'm looking more for locations and timing. Timing more so. I checked out Weed Lake and Langdon Res last fall, but I think maybe it was a bit late in the year. Considering the extent they have spread I didn't figure it would be hard to find a few, but so far no luck.

52FE3642-C689-4331-8C6C-D56BA93F8896.jpe

Dewitt pond is riddled with them, mostly tiny. If you can face the place. Haven’t quite figured how to interest them though, this one was on a size 14 emerger. i’m tempted to get back to try and cull some.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks, been a while.

I have seen a few very large Crap fish in the Glenmore Reservoir, one literally 1m away from me, on the shore. Tried to attract it with a Chironomid, but it was just cruising the banks.

As said in the earlier posts, it had a huge back, looked like a football, quite pronounced upturned eyes...and it reminded me of the Sesame Street song.." one of these things just doesn't belong here..."

Must have been in there for a while, because it was at least a 35 inch fish...sigh. It's weird, because Carp are actually a staple food in parts of Asia. Hmmm....

-M.