Fly Fusion Forums

Wild Rose Release Plan For Ab Fisheries

Hot off the presses folks -what do you think? I applaud them for putting some policy forward, but there are aspects of this that make me uncomfortable. Predator control is a dangerous road to go down - that's the type of attitude that encourages folks to throw bull trout into the bushes. I also see nothing in here about the impact land use has on our fisheries. Can't have strong fisheries without strong land use policy.

http://www.wildrose.ca/removing_barriers_and_improving_stewardship_wildrose_releases_plan_for_alberta_fisheries

• Like 1

Agreed that predator control is a slippery slope but I don't think our endangered provincial fish would get branded as such. What they wrote looks good on paper. We need to get creative to develop more fisheries to match the population growth.

I don't understand Loewen's comment regarding, "removing barriers to accessing Albertas fishing spots".

Nothing about access is mentioned in the Plan. I wonder if this comment is directed to fishing spots that need to be accessed on foot. I thought there would be explanation in the Plan but didn't see it.

I don't understand Loewen's comment regarding, "removing barriers to accessing Albertas fishing spots".

Nothing about access is mentioned in the Plan. I wonder if this comment is directed to fishing spots that need to be accessed on foot. I thought there would be explanation in the Plan but didn't see it.

I'm sure what they really mean is that we can now walk across private land to get to fishing spots. Rural Alberta is gonna love that.

I took it as a reference to restoring OHV use in the Castle for people too lazy to walk to fishing spots.

• Like 3

Based on the fact that they are talking about surface aeration vs diffuser aeration as though it's an unresolved issue, and the fact that there is no mention of WD leads me to believe that this report was actually drafted some time ago. It starts by mentioning a lack of aquatic resources and increased user demand, but then later mentions looking at the viability of a commercial fishery in Alberta? They want to introduce more of the slot sizes that lead to the collapse of several pike fisheries in the southern part of the province and add more limited harvest options based on a tag system like the one currently in place for Walleye. They want to look at the feasibility of adding more weirs and better maintaining the water levels in reservoirs, which would mean creating barriers to fish movement and diverting more water from the major river systems. Rather than closing the Pembina in a last ditch effort to save the fishery they would consider going barbless and a bait ban?

Recycled ideas and dated thinking.

BTW, is it me or does anyone else look at Brian Jean and immediately think of Fargo?

• Like 2