Fly Fusion Forums

Trolling Motor And Battery For 15 Ft Drift Boat

trolling motor -what's the minimum lb thrust and shaft length for a 15 ft hyde skiff

i'm thinking 55 lb and 42 in shaft or 36 in shaft

can anyone recommend a marine battery for the above setup

to be used more to get off a lake when the wind gets up than for trolling

any input appreciated

marks

Traxxis[Minn Kota[ is the key 55lb.Battery,my personal best has been Interstate cheap,they at least .Abide by warranties,the rest scary.I charge it after use,even if it's very minimal 9yrs same battery...NO *hit !!! Touching wood

I have a hyde low pro that Ive been using for the last 5 seasons on a large mountain lake. The first year I started out with a minkota 55 but soon found out that if you get stuck in a wind storm or any kind of rough water it's kind of sketchy with the 55, get blown around and if your going against the wind it doesn't have the power to push threw. I stepped up to the 80 and no more problems but it's a 24 volt motor so you'll need 2 batteries (I run 2 banks with an inline switch to change banks without fumbling with battery post nuts) I can run and gun to various locations at full power for a full day usually about 5 miles one way and still have plenty of battery power to get me back to the dock safely.

Bit more money but way cheaper in the long run due to the safety factor.

• Like 1

I have a kota 55. As the previous comment, when it gets windy you will get where you need to go but it might just take you a while. When it's calm or even a little chop I haven't ever had an issue. My suggestion is to go with the 42" shaft. I was in the same predicament two years ago when I got mine. Now I can't even imagine having a 36" shaft. Anytime you have a little chop on the water you want to have the prop totally submersed in the water. I don't believe that a 36" would be capable.

As for the battery, I went to battery world and bought a decent one around $150. I can get two full days (probably more but I charge it by then) on a charge going to a medium sized lake. (Let's say summit size, and that usually has a bit of wind).

I have a hyde high side.