Fly Fusion Forums

Mystery Rod?

I have inherited a custom built fiberglass rod built for a friend of my father's (both deceased now) in Calgary in 1979 by someone named "Rutherford" who had a business name of Trout Fly?

The script on the rod reads- "The Trout Fly" Model 8590-AFTMA 7-8'6". "Cataract"

If anyone can shed some light on the builder it would be great to find out some more about. I have not fished with it yet as it is so far removed from what my other rods are.

post-2989-0-89950700-1493154054_thumb.jpg

post-2989-0-39793600-1493154072_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think that would have been Bill Rutherford. Bill passed away several years ago. I met Bill several times and know that he had a small shop but I never had the pleasure of visiting the shop. Sorry that I do not have more information,.

Ken

• Like 2

Yes that one of Bill Rutherford's rods. Looks like you have a missing ferrule. Cool old rod.

The more I look at it, I don't think it has a missing ferrule spigot. Likely a Fenwick Feralite ferrule tip over butt.

I think that is just a old piece of tape or sticker of some kind..

Please post more pix, its hard to say exactly Taco you are most likely right on the on the ferrule but there seems to be a missing a guide. Lovely old rod though.

I think that is just a old piece of tape or sticker of some kind..

yup much too close to the next guide, old glass rods had some crazy guide spacing, Certainly look's Fenwick-ish to me.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Silver Doctor- it does deserve to be out on the water talking to some trout. I will be willing to trade it for a reel. A 7/8 large arbor, metal construction reel would be a good trade if anyone has one that is surplus to their needs.

The tape that is visible is just a wrap of old masking tape on there for some reason. I washed most of it off. The ferrules are all in good shape and are in proper position- as should be with a custom rod. Comes with original hard tube case and rod sock.

Have more pix if needed.

Will post on the buy sell.

post-2989-0-68970400-1497288072_thumb.jpg

post-2989-0-33527200-1497288091_thumb.jpg

post-2989-0-21746900-1497288105_thumb.jpg

post-2989-0-89747800-1497288117_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Far from definitive but the white spigot points to a Fisher rolled Winston blank. For the most part Fisher blanks sold under their own label had a brown spigot but I have heard of exceptions. Other than the local builder provenance as a longer than prime 7 wt I wouldn't think the rod is worth a lot, like not much over $100. Don't let the 7wt number fool you, that rod would throw a modern wf 6wt line a country mile.Would be a fun rod to tie into a 10lb trout with.

• Like 1