Fly Fusion Forums

North Central Alberta Trout Stream Opportunities?

Are there any streams in North Central Alberta that would be able to support self sustaining (or not) populations of brown trout? I am defining North Central Alberta as East of Evansburg and north of Red Deer (ie.~100-150km radius from Edmonton). I know its not as easy as dump fish in said river, high five each other on the way back to the F&W truck and open the stream for business but has it really been looked at recently?

The Pembina River (west of Drayton) seems like it would take to Brown trout as a medium sized river. The Tawatinaw River is smaller and littered with beaver dams but there is good/bad with that scenario as well. Is there really no option that would work for this part of the province or is the demand not there?

Feel free to brainstorm....

Reid

We don't have gambler biologists anymore like the ones that established browns in rivers not that far south of where you speak. It's definitely worth a call in to the Edson/Rocky F&W Office and speak to a bio or tech about it. They can provide you with info you wouldn't find online.

The Pembina has had some issues in its own recently, moreso higher above where you speak and more relating to grayling, but that drainage is having some major enviornmental issues due to logging and oil and gas development. albertatrout on here might be able to offer some more info, he has more experience with this then I do.

The middle reaches of the Pembina around Lodgepole would seem to be a good fit for Browns, and the water temps around there might start getting a bit warm for grayling/rainbow while that section might be too small for Walleye. It's a productive river that can grow decent fish, but I know there is concern about the grayling population.

I'll give them a ring and see if this has any potential or not.

Way back when I was a kid I caught a brown trout out of Carrot Creek right where it crossed #16. I was using a worm and a bobber fishing with my uncle who taught me that technique and also identified it as a brown. I think that it was stocked back in the day, not sure if there was some spawning and there are fish still in the creek or not.

• Like 1

Yup, there are still browns in there last time I checked. That creek would represent the Eastern boundary for trout fishing as I know it. I haven't fished it in years, might have to give it a whirl again this summer due to how close it is.

Trailhead's post reaffirmed my suspicion. Based on stories I've heard, in the 60s and 70s, they would stock trout in almost any flowing water, beaver ponds, anywhere they thought they might be able to sustain themselves. Some paid off, lots did not. This is what I was referring to as gambler biologists.

That stretch around Lodgepole sure looks just like any other brown trout creek you'd find in my neck of the woods. Potential is there. Again, if you find yourself with some spare time, a call in to F&W may shed some more light. They can dig out old stocking records or notes, if there is any!

Are there any streams in North Central Alberta that would be able to support self sustaining (or not) populations of brown trout? I am defining North Central Alberta as East of Evansburg and north of Red Deer (ie.~100-150km radius from Edmonton). I know its not as easy as dump fish in said river, high five each other on the way back to the F&W truck and open the stream for business but has it really been looked at recently?

The Pembina River (west of Drayton) seems like it would take to Brown trout as a medium sized river. The Tawatinaw River is smaller and littered with beaver dams but there is good/bad with that scenario as well. Is there really no option that would work for this part of the province or is the demand not there?

Feel free to brainstorm....

Reid

You will not see non native fish introduced againn. That time is long gone. You can call edson office qnd discuss with the bios but the era of introducing anything new is gone. The Pembina in particular was a fantastic brook trout river but the government decided to remove anglers so the loggers and oil companies can try and wipe the few remaining grayling out (thqts how i see it anyways). Even a plan to reestablish native grayling in that drainage didn't go anywhere following a retirement, they are not that interested in anglers in that region and there is a serious lack of innovative ideas to help the remaining fish flourish/ recover. That being said, even without browns there is plenty of great fishing in that region. The streams are generally less productive and the fish are often small but they can be a lot of fun. There are many creeks in the McLeod drainage loaded with athabows and grayling, it's very different from the streams further south but still very satisfying to visit and explore. You can find the odd place with huge bulls, solid grayling (16 to 18"), and chunky athabows (12" is a hog but my personal best from a heavily ponded trib broke 20", unique fisheries exist). I feel the discussion should be limited to managing and reintroducing native fish populations up there, lots of opportunities exist so keeping pressure on Fish and Wildlife is worthwhile. Otherwise there are a few brown trout fishing opportunities in that area already, you have to look around for them but a few do exist in certain streams.

• Like 1

Hookem,

At one time and for many years there were several creeks stocked in the Rocky area where natural reproduction didn't occur.

These streams included Cow Creek, Buster Creek & Mud Creek plus several breaverdam tributaries to streams like the Clearwater and Prairie Creek.

Why the stocking stopped is unknown. What did occur if just more loss of angling opportunities. Cow Creek produced Browns over 10 lbs. for example.

The actions of Govt. have reduced many opportunities once available. This is of course flies in the face of increased population.

What must be remembered is that without the stocking done previously, you can write off nearly all streams along the eastern slopes.

With the actions of Govts, you better take up golf.

Don

• Like 2

Alberta Trout, yes the Edson area still has hidden gems and some unique opportunities. I grew up there and know the area well. However, I don't see how you cannot protect native species and produce new fisheries at the same time. It can be done well. I'll give F&W a ring.

Reid