Fly Fusion Forums

Flipped Jet Boat On The Bow

Oh and take it easy with the come-along if you use one. Lots of horror stories when those break

Yes. Back when I used to off road my group didn't allow anyone to use those for recovery.

Anyhow, not sure if you can get a vehicle down to the bank since I'm not entirely sure where it is, but if it's possible and there's landowner permission I could round up a couple vehicles with winches. Safer and more powerful than a come along.

I had a look at the site today. As has been said, its mid river adjacent to the "Hell on Wheels" movie set. The best approach is to speak to the land owner. I believe it is the Grunewald family. Arrange for the farms heaviest tractor to pull the boat to the bank. Get a cable minimum 2000 # test make sure the eyelets on each end are crimped in place. Don't take any short cuts, you will regret it!

• Like 1

Landowner is Albertina Farms. Houses are along Hwy 552 just north of Blizzard lake on the map. There is a road all the way down there coming from the south right to the Hell on Wheels filming site.

I don't think "rope" will be strong enough.

You may need cable or nylon webbing tow straps.....the guys at Canyon Rigging in Calgary can custom build whatever you might need and offer some professional expertise.

A tractor on shore might be the best solution

• Like 1

Not sure how things are going...but as far as "rope" goes....guys at Canyon rigging said there is now rope made with Dyneema (like braided fishing line) that is incredibly strong in a small diameter with a breaking strength of 50,000lb.

Not sure how things are going...but as far as "rope" goes....guys at Canyon rigging said there is now rope made with Dyneema (like braided fishing line) that is incredibly strong in a small diameter with a breaking strength of 50,000lb.

It's been around for a while. That's what I have on my winch.

May be a dumb suggestion, but any way the fire department would help with their water rescue crew?

From what I recall when that drift boat got sunk a couple years ago the fire dept. wouldn't come out unless life was at risk or something. I was thinking AEP might if there's gas and oil leaking from the boat into the river.

I have no idea how bad it's stuck, but have seen a picture. If you're able to wade to it SAFELY, would a tractor/farm jack between the river bottom and the transom be feasible? Ideally it would lift the power head off whatever it's stuck on and let the current do the rest. I have a jack if you want to borrow, but only ~$100 at PrincessAuto. Get out of the way when things start moving, tractor jacks are scary.

Good luck.

I made some progress today, I have rigging attached to the boat to shore but ran out of cable to get to a firm anchor on land. I still need two more people, and another boat to get everyone up and back that would be great. I'm confident I'll get her out tomorrow. Thanks.

I made some progress today, I have rigging attached to the boat to shore but ran out of cable to get to a firm anchor on land. I still need two more people, and another boat to get everyone up and back that would be great. I'm confident I'll get her out tomorrow. Thanks.

Share Share

• Like 1

There sure are, my experience with the community through this fiasco has been a paradigm shift. We have a healthy tight group of folks who care about the fishery and each other. And even the guy who called strathmore fish and game and complained about it; gave my name and number to them which could have made only been known from this thread. Good luck at being a j***, I hope you choke on it, thanks pal.

• Like 1

Ok, the anchor got stuck in the rocks in some heavier water than I would have liked. The boat handles it pretty well for what it is. So I thought I might be able to motor above or beside it to dislodge it. The boat got sideways and when I dropped the rope I got tangled on the throttle control on the side of the boat, that was it. I went in, and if I hadn't been wearing a pfd I might not be alive.

In hindsight; just cut the rope; wish I had.

Unless you are a heli ski operator. Then then the info never gets released to the media!! :P

Soooo a half week later, can we hear a little more of an accident analysis here? Same thing they do in mountains following an accident so future parties can learn from it.

Yea, just be careful if your anchored and fishing from the craft. I've done it many times, and it just takes one thing to go wrong. Anyway if anyone finds a 6wt Helos 2 or a 5wt switch rod let me know, I have the serial numbers.