Fly Fusion Forums

Highwood And Bow Junction

It is my understanding that the dogs come after you on or off the property.

They scared the **** out of me as I walked along the bank.

I've seen them, you want to be careful.

I talked to him after the incident I had , he's a fishermen too.

I gave a call to animal bylaw & they are very well aware of the dogs, several complaints.

I had an incident last year when I was living in Calgary. I was on the South side of the Bow approaching the HW. The bank was a mess so I went up and wanted to just go over the 40 feet and back down. I knew there was a truck parked up there but didn't know it was the land owner. The big black dog, not sure of the breed but it is truly massive, barred it's teeth and was headed my way. He yelled an order or two and came up and stood between us. That was the only thing that stopped something from happening. He had to restrain the dog and put it in the truck and close the door. The other dog seemed fine. The black dog was big enough to make the outcome pretty much not occur in my favor. I've been around a lot of animals and dogs and never have a seen a animal act this one minded. If the owner wasn't there I don't think there was anything I could have done differently, body language, voice or anything that would have stopped it. That was scary for sure and the next time I had my bear spray with me just in case.

I was trespassing when I went above the bank so I was in the wrong. Anyways, I apologized and we got to talking and he is a fisherman and fishes there when he is not protecting his land. Out of the 10 or so times I was there I saw that truck and dogs there about 8 of them - all weekdays. And, he is not fishing at those times. He is watching over his land. I'm not sure when he gets time to fish ....

So just a warning to stay away from the particular section and don't go above the bank. I just think about the day when he is distracted and ole blacky is near the bank and decides to go down to do something to someone. Hopefully doesn't happen but all the factors are there that it could.

Otherwise, time to hit the bow tomorrow! Stoked!!! :)

That was scary for sure and the next time I had my bear spray with me just in case.

This sounds like the best solution for folks who want to fish down there. Just know that if you do happen to be trespassing at the time and spray the dog you're in the wrong and could be charged.

• Like 1

I assume you are discussing the land owner on the SW corner of the confluence. Has anyone had issues on the SE corner of the confluence and downstream? Some of it is a designated natural area and there is some of the bank is cliff so you can't stay below the high watermark.