Fly Fusion Forums

No More Felt Soled Boots In The Rockies !

On a positive note Parks Canada has banned the use of Felt Soled boots by anglers .

I give them a thumbs up on this proactive move !

I like the move too, but to be a nitpicker, there's a huge difference between regs for the National Parks and a general blanket term "Rockies". For a moment, I thought a provincial rule had been implemented.

• Like 2

Vibram soles aren't the answer. The problem I see with that rule is that anglers may not disinfect gear regardless of sole material (soles are only one part of a boot and than there's waders). The rule may well create a false sense of assurance that "every's Ok because I've got Vibram". Effort should be directed at educating/requiring anglers to disinfect, with broad availability of disinfection solutions readily available for purchase at fly shops and any stores carrying angling equipment. Vibram soles don't always cut it safety wise on slick boulder strewn freestoners.

• Like 5

While I agree on vibram boots needing to be cleaned like anything else, I gotta say (and this is coming from someone with a history of falling down) vibram with hardbites is the most stable sole combination I've used, and I'm including boulder filled freestones! I would have 0 issue with the banning of felt.

• Like 1

I always wondered about that..Can't the Parks Super just do a declaration...They do all the time during the summer...

Guessing that since it's a gov't agency there's probably a specific set of guidelines and circumstances where they're allowed to do that. Could be that this doesn't fall under those guidelines or they're making sure it does before they go through with it.

Guessing that since it's a gov't agency there's probably a specific set of guidelines and circumstances where they're allowed to do that. Could be that this doesn't fall under those guidelines or they're making sure it does before they go through with it.

Likely the fisheries act issue. Same with why Alberta can't mandate a no-felt (or no barbed hooks) until they get the AB Fisheries Act changed

I believe it would require a change to the National Parks Act which would have to be passed by parliament or an order in council. Regardless we do have to be diligent ourselves. I did buy another pair of boots so that I would have a pair for the Bow and one for other waters.

The first weekend in April I travelled up through the parks on my way home and renewed my parks licence in Lake Louise and just as I was walking out the door the officer called me back and showed me the new "regulation". I was a little taken aback as my new boots were felt but before going fishing in the Athabasca I stopped at online sports in Jasper to see if could get some boots without felt. They had none and were unable to get any. All boots they had in their store, there were lots, had felt soles with more coming in with their spring order. She was informed by Parks, though, that the order was rescinded and that they were to pull all the inserts with the reg out of the park regulations.

Crumb... I have felts - for AB only and my travel boots are Simms with the studs.

imho, the boot uppers and laces, the waders, staffs, belly boats, nets, gloves... all these materials could be potential transporters. It is also possible that birds have transported the parasite after eating infected fish.

I do not mean to understate the problem - it's horrible. I guess a solution may be to sterilise each time one moves between bodies of water, even within a region.

I reckon there's a potential market for a commercial sterilising solution, pre-mixed and sold in 4 litre jugs like windshield anti-freeze, at the local tackle shop and marina. I recall reading a recipe for the solution on-line someplace, but since I have different sets of stuff, I've not needed it due to long 4-6 month intervals between fishing stints.

Let's hope we can get this fixed in the long term.

There is, we use it at work... I'll try to get the name of it. It comes in a big 5 gallon bucket...

I reckon there's a potential market for a commercial sterilising solution, pre-mixed and sold in 4 litre jugs like windshield anti-freeze, at the local tackle shop and marina.

Thanks for a great post

Crumb... I have felts - for AB only and my travel boots are Simms with the studs.

imho, the boot uppers and laces, the waders, staffs, belly boats, nets, gloves... all these materials could be potential transporters. It is also possible that birds have transported the parasite after eating infected fish.

All of the above including anchor ropes and some that we don't even think of. Floor mats (vehicle as well), clothes if you're wet wading, basically anything that gets wet.

I do not mean to understate the problem - it's horrible. I guess a solution may be to sterilise each time one moves between bodies of water, even within a region.

Even within a region, cleaning your gear every trip is a must

I reckon there's a potential market for a commercial sterilising solution, pre-mixed and sold in 4 litre jugs like windshield anti-freeze, at the local tackle shop and marina. I recall reading a recipe for the solution on-line someplace, but since I have different sets of stuff, I've not needed it due to long 4-6 month intervals between fishing stints.

T/U had some at the tackle swap this AM including a spray pump to apply. The sad thing was I didn't see very many people buying. I guess a lot of people just don't give a $hit.

Let's hope we can get this fixed in the long term.

As important as a long term fix is, curtailing the immediate spread of invasive species is extremely critical.

clean-drain-dry

BK

• Like 1

How it happens

The life cycle of the parasite causing whirling disease is complex,one. Once established in the skull of an adult fish, Myxobolus cerebralis, which is only about 10 microns, or .01 millimeters in size, is released into the water after the fish dies and decomposes. These microscopic parasites are then devoured by tubifex worms that live in the mud of freshwater streams and lakes.

The worms act as a second host for the parasite, which metamorphoses into these 300-micron monsters then known as triactinomyxon, or “TAMs,” the parasites remain in the mud-dwelling worms until they are excreted into the lower water column. Nearby trout redds are particularly vulnerable to the parasite, which can attach to the skins and shoot spores into the juvenile trout, penetrating their skin and beginning the cycle once again.

There is no treatment for whirling disease at this time. The best way is to inspect and just clean all your equipment with fresh water ie: hose it down well (especially remove mud and sediment) then allow for a minimum of 24 to dry (a bleach solution is not an answer). In my opinion banning felt is just a knee jerk attitude. There are too many other items like nets,, waders, laces, fly vests and all your other items even damp flies. The disease is transmitted through spores.

Equipment used for swimming, paddling, boating, water pumping, life jackets, or through infected fish (alive or dead) and fish parts are more likely to spread spores. It has been detected in all the western states and many northeastern watersheds.

Link