Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Advise - New 4Wt?

Hi everyone,

I received a bit of an income tax refund this year, and I want to treat myself by replacing an old 4wt rod with a new one. My budget is $800ish or less, rod only. While I've fly fished for a long time, I would consider my skills sort of in the middle of the pack. Also, if it makes a difference, most of my fishing is for trout in lakes from my Fishcat 4. I also like to use both sinking and floating lines.

Some of the models I've been looking at are the mid-priced Sage models Accel and Pulse. Just wondering if anyone would like to offer some opinions on similar priced / quality rods from other manufacturers? Currently my 4wt is a TFO entry level rod, medium action. I've actually liked using this rod, but it's time for an upgrade.

Before I go try casting a few of these rods, I'm open to any suggestions / opinions that anyone can offer me as to what to look for.

Thanks!

Nothing beats a Hardy.

Except a Winston ;)

I've heard/read very good things about the Orvis Recon. I have the 6# Access, (which the Recon replaced) and I quite like it for streamers and bigger game. I tend to use 6 weights on stillwater, so my experience and obvious bias to Winston is based on my 4# BIIIX I use for dry fly fishing

• Like 3

The Orvis Recon 5wt is a great rod. I would use that out of my Fish Cat.

Questions to consider for lake fishing: How big are the fish you are looking to catch?

How much wind will you be dealing with?

How long of leaders will you be casting?

For me, I often find myself using long leaders( at times over 20ft), with some heavy flies under an indicator under some pretty windy conditions. I like to go where there is fish over 5lb. These kind of situations tend not to be the best for a 4wt. Like mentioned above, a 6wt is usually a better choice. Your fast 5wt Recon would work as well.

If you are fishing in nice weather, with smaller fish and lots of chance to fish dries, a 4wt would be nice. Why not a Recon

• Like 2

For lake fishing, unless I am casting a dry, I will never go lighter than a 6wt, and sometimes even bring my 8wt, just to ensure that I can deal with the wind. Besides, if you already have a 4wt rod, I would definitely get a different weight to round out your quiver.

My lake rod for the past 10 years is a 10' Amundson Wind Warrior 5wt. The brand isn't as important as the length. A 10' rod gets you that extra casting distance you look for on a lake. While it is a good idea to be gunned up enough for the larger fish (in general) you will encounter on a lake, I don't think a 5 is too light. The extra foot (10' vs. 9') gives you a mechanical advantage that almost makes up the difference and I don't often fish less than 5lb tippet or greater, so I never have a problem landing 4+ lb. fish in a timely fashion. That 10' also makes casting 25' and up leaders fairly easy, when chironomid fishing.

• 3 weeks later...