Fly Fusion Forums

Weekend On The Athabasca

Had the chance to get away and spend the weekend in jasper, tossing flies to hungry bull trout. The fishing picked up after the rain/sleet/snow and hail passed through and the sun came back out. Biggest one I found was 26", so my quest for 30" plus continues, I may have to head south to Kinbasket or west to Williston Lake come summer time.

• Like 1

Jordan. Fished Moab in a thunderstorm about 30 years ago. Short walk with a belly boat. Curry's used to have a couple boats tethered there. They supplied oars and pfds at the shop. Don't know if they still do this.

Jordan. Fished Moab in a thunderstorm about 30 years ago. Short walk with a belly boat. Curry's used to have a couple boats tethered there. They supplied oars and pfds at the shop. Don't know if they still do this.

I'll have the wife with me, so it'll likely be some pretty casual stop and go fishing. I'm not looking to poach anyone's honey holes, but I'd appreciate any guidance on where I should focus my efforts. If you can help please send me a private message - no need to air this laundry in public :D

At that time of year, between regs and ice/snow, your options may be somewhat limited. The Athabasca usually is fairly low and clear in May (though that can change quickly with weather) and as such may be a good bet, especially if you're looking for a "pretty casual stop and go" opportunity, as opposed to more of a time and effort commitment.

Per last year's regs (which of course don't necessarily mean anything for this season), the stretch from headwaters down to the 12 Mile Bridge (on Hwy 16 E of Jasper) was open in May. In this stretch (d/s of Athabasca Falls), the Athabasca at the mouths of the Miette, Maligne and Snaring are all readily accessible and could be good places to try.

• Like 1

If your coming up before the May long weekend all lakes will be still closed. It's been a weird year for weather here, we've been getting allot of snow in the high country lately but nothing down in the valley bottom. Most likely the rivers will be in run off. If you are planning on arriving after the long weekend send me a PM and I'll gladly provide a few lake options.

Ray