Fly Fusion Forums

Castle - Get Your Voice In

Feedback from AEP suggests voices in the angling/hunting/conservation communities are not being strongly heard in this consultation. Some of the new changes to the draft plan are clearly responding to feedback from the OHV community. If you have not yet done the survey, get on it. If you already did the survey, you can add your comments to the new revisions. Don't get complacent folks, this matters!

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleManagementPlan

• Like 2

The conversation about this has been absolutely dominated by the OHV users. Don't just fill out the survey but send it to any hunters and anglers you know who may not have filled it out yet. This isn't only about OHVs either - the draft management plan also bans motorized random camping aka the squatters we all know and love.

• Like 3

Quite the survey. Just about every question is "Read page # and tell us what you think of it".

The theme of First Nations keeps popping up. The false image of them as stewards of the land has been beaten to death.

As if your family background makes you qualified as a conservationist.

So called "traditional practices" are a big reason why we need better conservation plans.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the squatters as much as the next guy. But, is everyone really onside with a full ban on random camping?

I like the idea of being able to pull up to a secluded area and pitch a tent for the weekend and fish and hunt from my "base camp". Also, in the fall during hunting season "back country camping" isn't an easy task especially if you were trying to hunt with a young family along with you. I would really like to see some enforcement and rules on random camping, but I think a full-out ban is limiting a lot of opportunities for recreation.

• Like 1

Quite the survey. Just about every question is "Read page # and tell us what you think of it".

The theme of First Nations keeps popping up. The false image of them as stewards of the land has been beaten to death.

As if your family background makes you qualified as a conservationist.

So called "traditional practices" are a big reason why we need better conservation plans.

This, all the time!! What about the tax payers connection to the land!!! Done, filled out today.

Beeker

Don't get me wrong, I hate the squatters as much as the next guy. But, is everyone really onside with a full ban on random camping?

I like the idea of being able to pull up to a secluded area and pitch a tent for the weekend and fish and hunt from my "base camp". Also, in the fall during hunting season "back country camping" isn't an easy task especially if you were trying to hunt with a young family along with you. I would really like to see some enforcement and rules on random camping, but I think a full-out ban is limiting a lot of opportunities for recreation.

I've been making a three or four day trip like this every summer for quite a while now. The idea of not being able to do it hits me pretty hard but if that's the price I have to pay then I think I can deal with it. The long term damage done by the ditch gypsy OHV camps up and down the eastern slopes is appalling. However, most of it is already illegal! It's obvious that the government is either unwilling or unable to provide effective enforcement now so I have to wonder if just declaring the area a park will make any difference really. If I find myself giving up those fairly low impact camp trips but continue seeing the abuse from the OHV crowd I think it may kill me.

• 6 months later...
On 2017-10-18 at 5:30 AM, matt1984 said:

Resurrecting an old thread, but is the building of "restaurants, hotels and other tourism amenities" really that much better than the squatters we had to deal with previously?

Please take the time to fill this out and voice your concerns with developing the Castle.

https://culturetourism.alberta.ca/tourism/castle-region-tourism-strategy/

In some (most) ways, yeah! At least there will be a level of control. Where as now, it’s a free for all *hit show with little to no respect for the area!!