Fly Fusion Forums

Backcountry Hunters And Anglers

pepper

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Kevin Van Tighem writes: "One of the things I've been hearing from the Alberta government staff involved in planning for public lands is that they aren't hearing from a lot of the people and groups who value wild places that come without motorized abuse. A lot of us simply gave up when the motorized hordes took over our favourite spots and looked around for peace, intact land and wildlife somewhere else. Abandonment shouldn't be an option if one truly cares for wild places, wild game and wild trout. And what's more frustrating is the degree to which commercial interests like off-highway vehicle sales outlets and gadgeteers have taken over our once-proud hunting and fishing traditions, replacing principled conservation with rampant consumerism and a war-on-nature attitude.

A positive step towards advocating for the things that matter to us would be to organize those who believe in muscle-powered access and respectful engagement with wild trout and game animals in wild places. Groups like the Alberta Wilderness Association and CPAWS (Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society) are doing great work, but much of my time in nature is spent with a fishing rod or gun in hand. So I've signed on as a member of BHA and am hoping enough others will do so that we can get an Alberta chapter in place and begin to speak up for ethical land management and our best outdoor traditions. Alberta's wild places deserve all the friends, and all the help, they can get."

Andrew Waddington writes: "BHA is looking to open an Alberta Chapter. Check out their website to see what the are about. Becoming a member only costs $25 for the year and gets you 4 issues to their magazine!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AlbertaBackcountryHunters/

if8lfd.jpg

• Like 2

Went to the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers pint night yesterday and I was impressed. We already have groups like TUC, Cows and Fish, and the various watershed councils doing restoration and rehabilitation projects for us to get behind. BHA is more of a policy group looking to keep public access and conservancy specifically for hunters and anglers. OHV groups have manufacturers and dealers lobbying and providing funding, so BHA is the kind of group we need right now to help preserve our public lands. The OHV lobby isn't going to let up any time soon, so we need to keep pressing as well.

BHA said they need 50 members to start a chapter in Alberta and I believe they already have almost half that number. If we can get that number before their AGM on April 7th they'll vote to create the chapter at that time. If you want to know more check out their website.

• Like 3

Let's give them a hand.

And a local chapter sounds good.

Joined.

I'm not against OHVs but there are just too many of them. In my recent experiences, the "bad apples" seem to outnumber the respectful. Last summer a side x side "buzzed" unnecessarily close to me on the road, then as a WT doe and 2 fawns stepped out 100 ahead, he gunned it and chased them into the woods. The 2 guys with him just smiled as they went by.

I gave mine up years ago when the pressure was getting to destructive (it gets used for fencing still, and it would be nice to see a managed trail system). I would use it up north for a moose hunt if the overall pressure is not excessive.

And when there are too many horses out and about they'll stay home too. Hopefully I'll outlive the restrictions.

Keeping the spaces intact outweigh my need to recreate detrimentally. I 'm still a good walker.

My nickel.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Alberta Chapter is established.

<email snip April 13>

Thanks Ty!
Hi billie,
As Ty indicated, we just got confirmed as a chapter a few days ago. We've established our board a few weeks earlier, so you'll have to bear with us as we get our feet under us.
We're just scheduling our next series of pint nights, so that would be the best time to meet the others in the Alberta association. Currently we are planning on pint nights in Lethbridge, Calgary, Edmonton, and tentatively Ft. McMurray, with a date yet to be determined. If you have immediate issues that you'd like to bring to the boards attention, then myself or Cody would be the folks to talk to, and we present them to the board pretty quickly.
If you are on Facebook, then our page is at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AlbertaBackcountryHunters/ , but if you aren't on it, that's completely fine, email works just as well.
Thanks, and talk to you soon.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Ty Stubblefield <Ty@backcountryhunters.org> wrote:

Hey billie,

Thanks for reaching out to us and for sharing your idea of a BHA forum. That is a major undertaking that would be hugely beneficial that I'll throw in our box of ideas for planning. Right now we don't have the resources to make that happen but I know some forum owners so I'll start picking their brain on process.

The Alberta chapter is up and running and you can reach out to Neil Keown or Cody Spencer the chapter chairs. They'll be able to dial you in on things the chapter is working on.

Thanks again,

Neil Keown -

Cody Spencer -

Ty Stubblefield |Chapter Coordinator

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Phone:

<end snip>

Another conversation suggests a balanced approach to OHV use, which I support.

FYI

billie