Fly Fusion Forums

Suggestions For This Summer, A Little Advice For A Neighbour?

Hey fellow feather flingers,

Last week in June I'm dragging our trailer and family over the rockies to see the dinosaurs. I haven't book the site in the area yet mainly

because I wasn't sure where would be best so I could get out for some fishing. Initially I was thinking right in Drumheller but

don't mind staying outside and driving in. So between the sightseeing I'm hoping to "maybe" get a day or at least some mornings

or eves. My target would be browns and bulls but not to picky. I would hire a guide if that's best so suggestions for a guide would

be appreciated. Prefer to walk versus drift so I can take it all in slowly instead of run and gun.

Thanks

Rich

That can be a tough time of year due to the run off and this winter we've gotten a lot of snow.

I don't know when the Goldeye start running in the Red Deer, never seriously tried for them. I don't know if there's any Browns in the Red that far down but I'd bet against it. Never fished it that far down though and never heard of anybody going for trout down there. Bulls are alot further up towards the mountains.

A few stocked lakes and ponds in the Drumheller(ish) area.

If you can manage a day in Calgary and conditions are worth trying, I recommend Barry White for a guide. He's been guiding on the Bow for 40 years and knows the river well. Doesn't get the notice that newer guides do but it's always an enjoyable day with Barry. But you might do well just going it alone at the some of the public spots.

Keep us advised as your plans firm up and everybody can give you more input. Assuming you're taking the #1 for a route?

I know that you asked for fishing info but I can provide some camping suggestions. You definitely want to visit the museum in Drumheller. I would also suggest visiting Dinosaur Provincial Park. They have a nice campground in the valley. They also run excellent tours into the restricted areas of the park. These tours start fairly early so it is worth camping there. The river flows close to the campground. I have not fished it but I seem to recall seeing some rising fish in the evening.

A few years ago we stayed at Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park. As neither my wife nor I had ever been to Drumheller, we decided to visit it. It was an hour and half drive from the campsite to Drumheller, we toured the museum, did some shopping, visited the Hoodoos and were back on the Banks of the Bow in time to do an hour of evening fishing. Much better than attempting to camp in the Drumheller "desert" IMO.

• Like 2

Can you push it a bit later? Hard to give you a firm idea of runoff, but any booking in June is pretty risky that you'll be in runoff. I'd suggest pushing at least to the first week of July if possible..

I can, we leave here the last week and will be leaving there 13th. So I can wait it out for a bit. Totally forgot about the run off, thanks.

That can be a tough time of year due to the run off and this winter we've gotten a lot of snow.

I don't know when the Goldeye start running in the Red Deer, never seriously tried for them. I don't know if there's any Browns in the Red that far down but I'd bet against it. Never fished it that far down though and never heard of anybody going for trout down there. Bulls are alot further up towards the mountains.

A few stocked lakes and ponds in the Drumheller(ish) area.

If you can manage a day in Calgary and conditions are worth trying, I recommend Barry White for a guide. He's been guiding on the Bow for 40 years and knows the river well. Doesn't get the notice that newer guides do but it's always an enjoyable day with Barry. But you might do well just going it alone at the some of the public spots.

Keep us advised as your plans firm up and everybody can give you more input. Assuming you're taking the #1 for a route?

Thanks for the tip on Barry White. He's exactly the type of guide I like. They have the best stories! Looks like my fishing aspirations will depend greatly on runoff.

I know that you asked for fishing info but I can provide some camping suggestions. You definitely want to visit the museum in Drumheller. I would also suggest visiting Dinosaur Provincial Park. They have a nice campground in the valley. They also run excellent tours into the restricted areas of the park. These tours start fairly early so it is worth camping there. The river flows close to the campground. I have not fished it but I seem to recall seeing some rising fish in the evening.

This great, thank you I'm making notes.

Hey fellow feather flingers,

Last week in June I'm dragging our trailer and family over the rockies to see the dinosaurs. I haven't book the site in the area yet mainly

because I wasn't sure where would be best so I could get out for some fishing. Initially I was thinking right in Drumheller but

don't mind staying outside and driving in. So between the sightseeing I'm hoping to "maybe" get a day or at least some mornings

or eves. My target would be browns and bulls but not to picky. I would hire a guide if that's best so suggestions for a guide would

be appreciated. Prefer to walk versus drift so I can take it all in slowly instead of run and gun.

Thanks

Rich

I fish around the Drumheller region a couple times a year. I hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but in Drumheller you are about 200km away from a bull trout, and 150km away from any browns. Starting around mid-may, the Red Deer River is filled with Goldeye though. I take novice fly anglers there because goldeye are as unpicky as fish get---any of your typical trout flies will work. They fight well for their size. And they will take dries in mornings and evenings. The Red Deer River is fairly shallow and slow as it gets to Drumheller. The infrequent deep pools will also hold walleye or pike. If you find the walleye or pike, they are generally not that picky either---any of your bull trout streamers will work (but you may want to use some bite tippet).

Fishing in the Badlands is not exceptional, but the Badlands are amazing---almost alien. But watch out for rattlesnakes---seriously. Last year I saw 2. The second one, I walked past 3 times before noticing it and it was only 2m away from me.

EDIT: no need for a guide on the RDR. When I say the goldeye are 'everywhere', I literally mean everywhere. As well, because of the sandstone valley in which the RDR settles, a heavy rainshower will immediately turn the RDR into chocolate milk, but it will return to normal within a day or so.

A few years ago we stayed at Wyndham-Carseland Provincial Park. As neither my wife nor I had ever been to Drumheller, we decided to visit it. It was an hour and half drive from the campsite to Drumheller, we toured the museum, did some shopping, visited the Hoodoos and were back on the Banks of the Bow in time to do an hour of evening fishing. Much better than attempting to camp in the Drumheller "desert" IMO.

Thanks Prof, I had heard that it's a bit "warm" in DH... I'll look at Carseland again.

I fish around the Drumheller region a couple times a year. I hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but in Drumheller you are about 200km away from a bull trout, and 150km away from any browns. Starting around mid-may, the Red Deer River is filled with Goldeye though. I take novice fly anglers there because goldeye are as unpicky as fish get---any of your typical trout flies will work. They fight well for their size. And they will take dries in mornings and evenings. The Red Deer River is fairly shallow and slow as it gets to Drumheller. The infrequent deep pools will also hold walleye or pike. If you find the walleye or pike, they are generally not that picky either---any of your bull trout streamers will work (but you may want to use some bite tippet).

Fishing in the Badlands is not exceptional, but the Badlands are amazing---almost alien. But watch out for rattlesnakes---seriously. Last year I saw 2. The second one, I walked past 3 times before noticing it and it was only 2m away from me.

EDIT: no need for a guide on the RDR. When I say the goldeye are 'everywhere', I literally mean everywhere. As well, because of the sandstone valley in which the RDR settles, a heavy rainshower will immediately turn the RDR into chocolate milk, but it will return to normal within a day or so.

Great thanks for this scel! I had been researching RDR but didn't know what to expect. Anything in Red Deer for kids?