Fly Fusion Forums

For Those That Play In The Snow...

When I instruct all my AST 1 students each week, I tell them how important is is to know and trust the people you play with (ski, sled, climb). Know that everyone has the proper training (both avalanche and WILDERNESS First Aid) and that everyone carries the proper gear - beyond a shovel, probe and transceiver (i.e., at minimum, a tarp, comprehensive First Aid Kit, comprehensive repair kit, head lamp, fire starting capability, and some means of communication (beyond a cell phone), and of course PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

If you play in the snow and DO NOT have Avalanche Safety Training - Take a course NOW!!

(Starts at 2 min)

Peter

• Like 1

Just maybe, if idiots doing stupid stuff had to actually PAY for their rescue .........

Wait, then they'd have to take responsibility for the mess they have GOTTEN THEMSELVES into. Not gonna happen any time soon. :(

• Like 1

carries the proper gear - beyond a shovel, probe and transceiver (i.e., at minimum, a tarp, comprehensive First Aid Kit, comprehensive repair kit, head lamp, fire starting capability, and some means of communication (beyond a cell phone),

Man, that sounds heavy

Brent, tell me what you think after you have to spend a very cold bivy overnight when a chopper can't get to you b/c of visibility issues or darkness and someone in your group has a broken femur or separated shoulder. Or in your sport of choice an ice tool in their thigh! As the old saying goes: "Expect the best, but plan for the worst"! I'd rather have a lb or 2 extra in my pack, then being caught out ill prepared!

Man, that sounds heavy

o

It's the people that do stupid stuff that cause the people that look for them to risk their lives, unnecessarily!

It's called Darwinism, sometimes we need to thin out the heard a little.

But with that said I get you Peter it's some of my fiends that have wives and kids that have to go get them. Dame it