Fly Fusion Forums

Cleaning Boats/gear

cgyguy

So this year I am planning on using my boat on different lakes / rivers in BC, and Alberta. I want to do things right, and do not wish to be the carrier of any invasive species. Is the correct way to clean your boat is to run it through the local car wash and spray clean inside and out with soap and rinse? As well as that, what is the best way to clean your gear? Not wishing to ask a stupid question, but if it is, sorry, and please help to answer. I have always used my boat in the Bow specifically, but this year want to explore. but at the same time, do it right. Thanks,

• Like 1

Anything porous can carry the parasite. Chota has an excellent overview of gear care.

Wading boots pick up organisms in the water and can carry these organisms from one body of water to another, especially wading boots with felt soles. We suggest that you start by thoroughly rinsing your boots off and give the soles a going over with a stiff bristled brush. Then fill a bucket or tub with 2 gallons of warm water and add 8 oz of bleach. Soak the boots in the bleach solution for two minutes and then remove the boots and let stand for two minutes. Once the boots have stood for two minutes rinse the boots with warm water and let dry. Another way to kill any aquatic hitchhikers is by simply letting your wading boots dry out for three or more days. Remember that All Gear can pick up aquatic hitchhikers!

• Like 1