Fly Fusion Forums

A Conversation For Conservative Conservationists

Sorry for the essay. This is something I've been thinking of writing on for some time. Where politics and the environment collide...

A CONVERSATION FOR CONSERVATIVE CONSERVATIONISTS
The environment is easily one of the most polarizing issues in Alberta. I will speak quite candidly here and break from my conservative roots – I worry what a united conservative government could mean for Alberta’s environmental interests. To date all we hear is that the NDP Climate Leadership Plan (including the carbon tax) is horrible and we need to do everything in our power to get rid of it. Apologies to my conservative friends, but that simply isn’t good enough.

I keep being told that we are not in a position to talk policy right now, those conversations are going to happen once the dust settles on the current leadership race. What worries me is what happens next. What if the conservative reaction to four years of NDP government is to abandon our environmental responsibilities altogether? I would like to think that collectively we agree this is an important issue and that thoughtful conservative policies can pave the way for stronger environmental stewardship.

In November of 2015 the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) commissioned a study to find out how Albertans feel about outdoor activities and wilderness. As a lifelong Albertan, the results from this survey don’t surprise me in the least. Here are some of the highlights:
- 88% of Albertans want government to set aside more wilderness where human activities are minimal.
- 94% believe that wilderness areas are important because they help preserve plant and animal species.
- 86% prioritize non-motorized recreation in wilderness over motorized recreation (especially topical given the recent government announcements for the Castle Provincial Park and Wilderness Area).
- 83% want wilderness protected and left in their natural condition, even if these areas are never visited by, or benefit, humans.

These figures are compelling, and they tell us how many Albertans feel about the environment. Albertan conservatives in particular should be sitting up and taking notice of this. The perception exists that conservatives lack credibility when it comes to environmental issues. But why is that, and how do we fix it? We are actually pretty good at these kinds of things when we put our minds to it.

At the moment conservatives in this province don’t have a great relationship with environmentalists. I’ve heard numerous times that most environmental groups are simply shills for the NDP. We can’t trust these people, we shouldn’t even talk to them and we have every right to get incredibly defensive when our previous environmental track record is brought up. What an absurd way to look at the issue!

We shouldn’t forget that there are many examples across Canada of conservatives doing the right thing when it comes to the environment; things that environmentalists have been very supportive of. Hell, Prime Minister Stephen Harper established 25,603 sq KM of new parks, that’s almost a 10% increase on our total park space as a country! That’s a big victory for environmentalists and a big victory for Canada. Why couldn’t we do the same thing here provincially?

I believe that our movement towards more credibility on the environment begins with building bridges with environmentalists. Alberta had a Progressive Conservative government for more than four decades. We did some things well and we did some things poorly. Staying in our echo chamber and ignoring feedback from the outside does us no favours. It is time that we opened ourselves up to a peer review. We should be positively engaging with environmentalists and ask what priorities we failed on during our time in government. What priorities did we succeed on? How do they feel about alternative policies that we may be considering? The environment does not need to be a wedge issue that conservatives dare not touch.

As conservatives we owe it to Albertans and to Alberta to continue being thoughtful about the environment. The Climate Leadership Plan likely won’t be the silver bullet that leads us to a golden age of environmental stewardship. I think some of the brilliant conservative minds we have in this province can come up with something better, and I think environmentalists can help.

• Like 2

Jordan,

There are so many ways the previous Govt could have done different and as a result we will live with these issues for many years to forever.

The ones just related to water/fisheries would include:

- illegal stocking of perch, Asian carp

- building the Three River dam without permits resulting in the Federal Court ordering Fisheries and Oceans into Alberta to make sure Alberta obeys the law.

- doing sweet f....k all about WD making its entrance to Alberta inevitable

- doing nothing about fresh water usage till forced

- approving water withdrawals to Rivers till they are over allocated by up to 130% ( the Bow)

- squatter camping

- illegally placed bridges and culverts. 700 of 900 in the Swan Hills is but one example

Get the picture?

The track record is pretty bad.

Don

• Like 1

Sorry for the essay. This is something I've been thinking of writing on for some time. Where politics and the environment collide...

The environment is easily one of the most polarizing issues in Alberta. I will speak quite candidly here and break from my conservative roots I worry what a united conservative government could mean for Albertas environmental interests. To date all we hear is that the NDP Climate Leadership Plan (including the carbon tax) is horrible and we need to do everything in our power to get rid of it. Apologies to my conservative friends, but that simply isnt good enough.

I keep being told that we are not in a position to talk policy right now, those conversations are going to happen once the dust settles on the current leadership race. What worries me is what happens next. What if the conservative reaction to four years of NDP government is to abandon our environmental responsibilities altogether? I would like to think that collectively we agree this is an important issue and that thoughtful conservative policies can pave the way for stronger environmental stewardship.

In November of 2015 the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) commissioned a study to find out how Albertans feel about outdoor activities and wilderness. As a lifelong Albertan, the results from this survey dont surprise me in the least. Here are some of the highlights:

- 88% of Albertans want government to set aside more wilderness where human activities are minimal.

- 94% believe that wilderness areas are important because they help preserve plant and animal species.

- 86% prioritize non-motorized recreation in wilderness over motorized recreation (especially topical given the recent government announcements for the Castle Provincial Park and Wilderness Area).

- 83% want wilderness protected and left in their natural condition, even if these areas are never visited by, or benefit, humans.

These figures are compelling, and they tell us how many Albertans feel about the environment. Albertan conservatives in particular should be sitting up and taking notice of this. The perception exists that conservatives lack credibility when it comes to environmental issues. But why is that, and how do we fix it? We are actually pretty good at these kinds of things when we put our minds to it.

At the moment conservatives in this province dont have a great relationship with environmentalists. Ive heard numerous times that most environmental groups are simply shills for the NDP. We cant trust these people, we shouldnt even talk to them and we have every right to get incredibly defensive when our previous environmental track record is brought up. What an absurd way to look at the issue!

We shouldnt forget that there are many examples across Canada of conservatives doing the right thing when it comes to the environment; things that environmentalists have been very supportive of. Hell, Prime Minister Stephen Harper established 25,603 sq KM of new parks, thats almost a 10% increase on our total park space as a country! Thats a big victory for environmentalists and a big victory for Canada. Why couldnt we do the same thing here provincially?

I believe that our movement towards more credibility on the environment begins with building bridges with environmentalists. Alberta had a Progressive Conservative government for more than four decades. We did some things well and we did some things poorly. Staying in our echo chamber and ignoring feedback from the outside does us no favours. It is time that we opened ourselves up to a peer review. We should be positively engaging with environmentalists and ask what priorities we failed on during our time in government. What priorities did we succeed on? How do they feel about alternative policies that we may be considering? The environment does not need to be a wedge issue that conservatives dare not touch.

As conservatives we owe it to Albertans and to Alberta to continue being thoughtful about the environment. The Climate Leadership Plan likely wont be the silver bullet that leads us to a golden age of environmental stewardship. I think some of the brilliant conservative minds we have in this province can come up with something better, and I think environmentalists can help.

Great thoughts,

Unfortunately I think it's pretty long odds that Kenney, Jean & co. place environmental issues high on the priority list. They have a great opportunity for a reset, but right now the only message I am hearing from them is Anti-NDP, Anti-Notley. I'm not hearing any agknowledgement that maybe the last conservative government screwed the pooch and they need to go back to the drawing board. As you mentioned, it will be very interesting when we actually hear some policy talk, but I won't be holding my breath.

Great thoughts,

Unfortunately I think it's pretty long odds that Kenney, Jean & co. place environmental issues high on the priority list. They have a great opportunity for a reset, but right now the only message I am hearing from them is Anti-NDP, Anti-Notley. I'm not hearing any agknowledgement that maybe the last conservative government screwed the pooch and they need to go back to the drawing board. As you mentioned, it will be very interesting when we actually hear some policy talk, but I won't be holding my breath.

Yup, I think they'll take a page out of Trump's playbook and run solely on a negative platform of reversing everything and fear-mongering rather than anything positive.

Jordan, There are so many ways the previous Govt could have done different and as a result we will live with these issues for many years to forever. The ones just related to water/fisheries would include: - illegal stocking of perch, Asian carp - building the Three River dam without permits resulting in the Federal Court ordering Fisheries and Oceans into Alberta to make sure Alberta obeys the law. - doing sweet f....k all about WD making its entrance to Alberta inevitable - doing nothing about fresh water usage till forced - approving water withdrawals to Rivers till they are over allocated by up to 130% ( the Bow) - squatter camping - illegally placed bridges and culverts. 700 of 900 in the Swan Hills is but one example Get the picture? The track record is pretty bad. Don

And the former/upcoming government needs to hear this feedback candidly and with an open mind. The knee-jerk reaction within the party right now is to get super defensive when any shade is lain on our environmental track record. It's time to grow up and realize there were a lot of things we did wrong.

The environment is easily one of the most polarizing issues in Alberta. I will speak quite candidly here and break from my conservative roots – I worry what a united conservative government could mean for Alberta’s environmental interests. To date all we hear is that the NDP Climate Leadership Plan (including the carbon tax) is horrible and we need to do everything in our power to get rid of it. Apologies to my conservative friends, but that simply isn’t good enough.

In November of 2015 the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) commissioned a study to find out how Albertans feel about outdoor activities and wilderness. As a lifelong Albertan, the results from this survey don’t surprise me in the least. Here are some of the highlights:

At the moment conservatives in this province don’t have a great relationship with environmentalists. I’ve heard numerous times that most environmental groups are simply shills for the NDP. We can’t trust these people, we shouldn’t even talk to them and we have every right to get incredibly defensive when our previous environmental track record is brought up. What an absurd way to look at the issue!

We shouldn’t forget that there are many examples across Canada of conservatives doing the right thing when it comes to the environment; things that environmentalists have been very supportive of. Hell, Prime Minister Stephen Harper established 25,603 sq KM of new parks, that’s almost a 10% increase on our total park space as a country! That’s a big victory for environmentalists and a big victory for Canada. Why couldn’t we do the same thing here provincially?

As conservatives we owe it to Albertans and to Alberta to continue being thoughtful about the environment. The Climate Leadership Plan likely won’t be the silver bullet that leads us to a golden age of environmental stewardship. I think some of the brilliant conservative minds we have in this province can come up with something better, and I think environmentalists can help.

Jpinkster; The city of Calgary claims to be trying to get ahead of this.I retired from there 8 yrs ago.They took on a project,to clean-up nose creek[G Mar].Well it's 8 yrs & counting & there still pissing around.They laided some pipe ,now there digging it all up.I'm glad it ain't city workers doing it.Would have been done by now.So talk all you want,no one is watching over these jerk offs.Wasting taxpayer[municipal & federal] dollars .Millions......Job creation humf...