Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Related Workout/exercises

Mukka

Ok, I know the topic may seem strange/weird but, given the cold stuff is upon us and I'm not able go out and fling flies, I was curious what exercises I could do during workouts that would keep/put me in proper shape for an upcoming trip? Going on the trip of a lifetime and I want to make sure I'm as ready physically as possible and not sore from pitching with 8 to 12wt rods all day.

Thanks!

The Gold Bond saved my first trip to Cuba... been one thing I won't travel without ever since.

Gold Bond is great to have up here too. Put it on your feet before you put your waders on and again at the end of the day. Your feet will thank you especially if you're camping and fishing for a week. Cod taught me that one.

• Like 1

hahah Gold Bond In the Army fondly known as a "BJ in a Can"

Even if this is a warm destination, do some warm ups and stretching, if you can start a yoga routine before going then I would suggest that..

you need to relax muscles not tense up to cast the big irons....

• Like 1

Makka,

Ernie Schwiebert wrote that Charles Ritz strengthened his casting arm using a magnum of champagne. When he finished, the maginum was enjoyed. The excercise, Schwiebert wrote, caused Ritz's thumb grow 1/2" wider.

Hemingway believed that Ritz was one of the finest FF ever.

Ritz was a Rod designer as well.

So, enjoy the champagne.

Don

Maybe something for the lower back. Back Extension or dumbbell good mornings. Don't need anything heavy just lots of repetitions. I know my dad who is quite a bit older has some back exercises he does on one of those big yoga balls and he has found it allows him to enjoy longer days.

• Like 1