Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Lesson

I am in the process of acquiring a used drift boat, and since I am a novice I am considering getting a lesson. Anyone on the forum care to share an opinion on who/where might be a good choice for that? I'd like to do it this spring before runoff, if the weather cooperates.

And while I'm at it, if anyone else wants or needs a lesson, I might be willing to split one with you (they're often the same price for 1 or 2 people). I'll provide the boat. Send me a direct message.

On the lower bow, just splash it in and figure it out. There aren't too many spots where you can get yourself into trouble and you'll catch on real quick how to keep the boat sitting the right way in the water. Of course this won't make you the best oarsmen on the river, nor will it qualify you to be a guide, but you'll catch on real quick to the fundamentals. First basic rule, keep the nose pointed downstream and running with the current, you don't want to be sideways into the big rollers.

• Like 1

Good idea !

Get a lesson for sure.

Remember those Brits that decided they wanted to try their new boat in 2014 as runoff was coming down.

The haystack out front of police was only maybe 5ft tall!

Anyhow they tried making the launch, went sideways, flipped , 3 guys in, all gear lost, and almost 3 drown.

Fella was very shook up , took him out to locate his boat & he was really not happy being in my boat.

Moral of the story , inexperience, not reconizing River conditions can lead to accidents.

Doesn't matter what stretch of water your on, if your in your boat anything can happen.

Anyone that owns a boat can tell you their own story I'm sure.

If iron bow does one go that way, if Dee is your instructor , pay attention !

Very important to be able to read the river.

• Like 1

Good idea ! Get a lesson for sure. Remember those Brits that decided they wanted to try their new boat in 2014 as runoff was coming down. The haystack out front of police was only maybe 5ft tall! Anyhow they tried making the launch, went sideways, flipped , 3 guys in, all gear lost, and almost 3 drown. Fella was very shook up , took him out to locate his boat & he was really not happy being in my boat. Moral of the story , inexperience, not reconizing River conditions can lead to accidents. Doesn't matter what stretch of water your on, if your in your boat anything can happen. Anyone that owns a boat can tell you their own story I'm sure. If iron bow does one go that way, if Dee is your instructor , pay attention ! Very important to be able to read the river.

Was that the boat that was pinned sideways underwater for months? I remember rowing by it a few times.

Threewood, I'm sure a few here will step up and help. Another way do it is hire a guide for a day and just ask for what you need. I think if it was me just starting with a new boat I wouldn't bother fishing, just get to know your boat really well and the river. Knowing the river is half the battle, the other half is learning to row, keeping the boat on a good track, turning and pivoting and watching the river ahead. It's very different from an ordinary rowboat.

• Like 1

Was that the boat that was pinned sideways underwater for months? I remember rowing by it a few times.

Threewood, I'm sure a few here will step up and help. Another way do it is hire a guide for a day and just ask for what you need. I think if it was me just starting with a new boat I wouldn't bother fishing, just get to know your boat really well and the river. Knowing the river is half the battle, the other half is learning to row, keeping the boat on a good track, turning and pivoting and watching the river ahead. It's very different from an ordinary rowboat.

This boat found its way down out front of Zeutso red house , was upside down in about 8' of water vacuumed to the bottom. I think it was only there a cpl weeks. Unless you were right over it you couldn't see it. Very spooky.

What I meant by haystack out front of Police were the Rapids,rollers, etc...

• Like 1

Cheaper way would be to invite an experienced guy or two and Pay the shuttle.

They can instruct you on the oars all day. In return, they get a rowing slave for a days fishing

Bron is right

Rowing a driftboat isn't rocket science. If I can row one, anyone can.

Reading the water and finding where the fish are is a bigger challenge.

PM me when McCinnons opens and I'll spend a day with you.

Later

BK

• Like 2

I wouldn't hesitate to learn the ropes on the Bow. It is a big, powerful River, but pretty tame. But if you can spare the cash, getting someone who has guided for a long time to teach you will save years of learning. Guides fish with so many inexperienced anglers that they learn to fish with the boat. Add that skill up with a few decent anglers and you will have some good days. Just the few spots they focus on or stop at will save you a season of trial and error.

McClennan did it at one point. He has two or three decades of Bow river guiding experience to share.