Fly Fusion Forums

Hackle Guard?

BadAndy

I picked up a Norvise and tools second hand, and have been quite happy with it, and have been learning quite a bit. Something I've ran across in struggling with a bit.

And couple bobbins have a bit of (what I think is) rubber tube on the ceramic tube of the bobbin. I believe this is a hackle guard for slipping over the front of the fly, to make it easier to whip finish and not get caught o in bushy fibers.

Do I have that figured right?

Second, where can I get more of this diameter tube, as not all my bobbins have this?

Cheers!

Yes those serve a double use, you can slip them over hackle or wing to hold them down and away from the eye for final tie off although I just use my fingers. They can also be used to hold the thread from popping back into the bobbin. Although you can pick up plastic caps for that from the Norvise site. The tubing is easily fond at hobby shops like PM hobby (fuel lines for remote control cars). Let me know if you have any other questions about the Norvise.

• 10 months later...

In order for that to work as a Hackle Guard.... you need to clip a bit off the cap and leave that part on the bobbin when tying.... then just slide it up over the hackle when ready to whip finish.... remember to put it back on the bobbin before you cut your thread.... Call Norm at Norvise for any parts that you need... He is excellent to deal with and will get you everything that you need... as well he will answer all of your questions. Finally there is You Tube... he has several very well done videos there.... when I say well done.... they are professional quality.... you will learn tons from them. 

I love my Norvise.... which all of my fishing buddies know and are sick of hearing me say..... but my fly tying enjoyment went up exponentially once I bought it... 

Not familiar with the norvise tools but as a general tip I found one of most helpfull for tying drys is to use a short section of a small plastic drinking straw to hold back hackle. just cut short length and split it on a diagonal. you can then slide around thread and slip up over head of fly to hold material back away from eye.(found west jet straws about perfect size). Any smaller straw can work and with diagonal can be squeezed smaller.  Another good source of smaller tubing is the small shrink tubing from a radio supply place,can get it here from local electronics store. Also works for junction tubing on tube flys. Likely best tip I know and costs next to nothing and keeps feather out of head and cement.  Daryl