Fly Fusion Forums

The Centenarian Angler

Very cool! I'm hoping to maybe get to 100, never mind being able to cast any kind of rod, spin or fly, in any manner near what this fine old pescatorial centenarian is doing here! So the moral here may well be, never get rid of that "old fav rod & reel or flies you tied" , you never know when you will use them next!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha, old BC guy here too. You can still buy 'mooching' lures and conventional stuff..😆 My gramps (neé) was around until 102. He kept asking why he was still alive. I subscribe to the 'burn out rather than fade away' notion, but I wasn't fortunate enough to grow up in a fly fishing family. Respect!

-M.

How amazing your kin made it to such a great age!

Old mooching gear and stuff from the coast still interests me. I have an old wooden Peetz reel, it was a "novelty" reel to use for rockfish. I believe they are still made in Victoria, mine is in need of only a small amount of tlc - it's still in amazing shape. I have two pristine Longstones (pre-anodized enamelled ones) and three badly worn ones which will be cannibalised to make a single good reel. I bought a few new spares to spruce it up a bit. JW Young Windex reels were amazing for Coho... they were bulletproof. The sound of the Longstone serenade when a salmon struck and ran... My folks had a modest 21 foot sports-fishing boat, named Fishtale. I was amused years later to learn of the shop in Calgary of the same name, though pluralized if memory serves.

Well then, like a few fellow fisher-folk I am an Alberta transplant. Dad brought me as a wee lad to Banff in 1969 and I never got over it. The majesty of those mountains... Over the decades as we moved around Canada (based in AB with the Air Force for a tour) and overseas with work we always gravitated (wife and I then too our daughter) to the Bow Valley.