Fly Fusion Forums

Barbless Or Not, Bow R Reg Changes, Gov't Discuss

monger

There is a survey to take

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/fisheries-engagement

I think a spring and fall closure below Beaspaw and Carsland dams is still a good thing to decrease stress during the spawn.

Folks should be able to do a little reading in the regulations book. There has always been complaints that things are just too tough to figure out.

• Like 4

A very disappointing survey set up to support the belief that seasonal river closure are unenforceable!

The Bow River from the headwaters down to Bassano with no seasonal closures to protect spawning fish is a regressive policy.

WE NEED THE BOW RIVER CLOSED TO FISHING IN THE CITY OF CALGARY FROM OCTOBER 1 TO NOVEMBER 30 TO PROTECT SPAWNING BROWN TROUT. This is critical in the event that Whirling Disease does devastate the Rainbow Trout population.

A fall closure of the city reach of the Bow River was banded around a couple of years but was dismissed due to what is believed to be pressure from the guiding industry.

I added my thoughts in the "comments" section of the survey. Indicating that the closure of the city reach of the Bow River from October 1 to November 30 is justified to protect fall spawners.

• Like 4

WTF?? A one question barbless survey?? WTF!!

Which of the following options comes closest to your own views on the one question barbless survey?

▢ One question barbless surveys should be banned.
▢ No change, please. Leave it up to me to decide for myself.
▢ Ban one question barbless surveys only in provinces with special management objectives.

▢ None of the above, I just want to party with Trump in a Russian hotel.

• Like 5

I very disappointing survey set up to support the belief that seasonal river closure are unenforceable!

The Bow River from the headwaters down to Bassano with no seasonal closures to protect spawning fish is a regressive policy.

WE NEED THE BOW RIVER CLOSED TO FISHING IN THE CITY OF CALGARY FROM OCTOBER 1 TO NOVEMBER 30 TO PROTECT SPAWNING BROWN TROUT. This is critical in the event that Whirling Disease does devastate the Rainbow Trout population.

A fall closure of the city reach of the Bow River was banded around a couple of years but was dismissed due to what is believed to be pressure from the guiding industry.

I added my thoughts in the "comments" section of the survey. Indicating that the closure of the city reach of the Bow River from October 1 to November 30 is justified to protect fall spawners.

Fishtek - I had the same comments re keeping the city stretch closed in the spring and fall to protect spawners.

I like the full C&R proposal though. Will make it a lot easier to call people in when you see them bonk a fish, you don't have to long-distance eyeball measure the fish or try to figure out whether it is a whitey or a trout.

• Like 1

While I appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback, there was one part of the survey that drove me nuts. When they pose the question about unified regulations, you have to respond whether you agree or not. If you agree, they let you answer more specific questions and even add comments. If you do not agree, the survey ends. I initially had clicked no because I do not believe the entire Bow should be open all year round (protection for spawning, etc). I had to double back and click 'yes' and than double back to provide feedback on specific aspects of unified regulations that I didn't like.

Fishtek - I had the same comments re keeping the city stretch closed in the spring and fall to protect spawners.

I like the full C&R proposal though. Will make it a lot easier to call people in when you see them bonk a fish, you don't have to long-distance eyeball measure the fish or try to figure out whether it is a whitey or a trout.

hey Ace,

ill just call everyone suspicious in

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, prior to 1982 the Bow River downstream of 22X was closed to fishing from October 30 to June 1. The year round opening of that stretch on the Bow River was very controversial at the time. There are many of us who are long-in-the-tooth believe that the decision was the start of the demise of the Bow River as a world class fishery. Certainly many other factors have contributed to change in the fishery, but seasonal closures beyond protecting spawning fish give the trout population a break from continued angling pressure.

South of the Canadian border, Montana has started to eliminate seasonal river closures with the exception of temperature triggered short term intervention to reduce fish kill. Are we headed the same way?

• Like 1

Hate too bitch but two treble hooks on a plastic minnow! On a catch and photo, let them go alive back to there home so I can try him on for size... With all my little hook stuff . Mmm Flyfishy hoping for the right rule' and Regs.

To enjoy the fun sport of casting flys , Cowboy.

I'm happy to see a survey. Years ago to be heard you'd have to drive across the province. Does it need work, sure but who doesn't.

My thoughts after the survey;

I'd like to see the Bow with a half year closure, BUT with the populace we have there must be the proverbial village bicycle. That's the Bow, and I hate to say it. The other option is the spring creeks in central AB get massacred for 2 months prior to Bow opener.

The people that manage our waters have a very difficult job and they need to provide an option for recreational use all year round. I don't like it but it is a lowest common denominator kind of thing.

The crazy thing is the vast majority of those asking for seasonal closures fish the Bow nonstop. 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers, and in this case the adage applies.

Why do we need to wait for the gov't to make it law before we ourselves do what we are asking for?

Couldn't we all self impose our own closure for the betterment of the fish?

Why do we need to wait for the gov't to make it law before we ourselves do what we are asking for?

Couldn't we all self impose our own closure for the betterment of the fish?

I'd point out that there are quite a few of us that are already doing this.

• Like 1

I still like the fishy out there! So yes I do a lot of had a bite, Or "he's gone" story,

but hate the brake off the most. , fun fun times!

For me I beleave the Reg's do make a difference , over the last 10 years of let go, world . barbs and two hook rigs , not needed .

Just beening me!

The bow is full of invasive, introduced species. What good is it, if not as a recreational resource? Nada, that's what. Open it. All year. If the trouts can't deal with the pressure, roll it back. It is not a high stakes game.

Try to keep things in perspective. We have headwater creeks with pure strain west slope cutthroat that are still open to angling, not to mention grazing, forestry and road/pipeline crossings. Let's prioritize.

• Like 2