Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2017 Edition

SilverDoctor

One more of my tenkara fly experiments. Usually the Sakasa Kebari style hackle is tied sparse so the fibres wiggle and pulse in the current. A way of achieving this is to remove the fibres from one side of the stem.

But I thought what if the hackle was overdressed? What would happen? It wouldn't wiggle as much, and would be a definite mistake in terms of the standard way of tying soft-hackle flies. But would it push more water and work as an attractant that way?

Here I have tied three grouse soft hackles to make the reverse hackle. I couldn't imagine tying all three at once, so I tied one, then another, then another so they were all bunched up in a short space. Simple thread body.

I am looking forward to trying this out next summer to see how it works.

post-5551-0-45323700-1486931864_thumb.jpg

post-5551-0-88452200-1486931897_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Couple reliable patterns for foothills streams and bow river. 20-25 of each pattern per session depending on the amount of hooks in package. Couple more patterns in the works.

It sucks to have fishing buddies who will not tie their own!

Tenkara guys, nice to see something new.

229ce32a47.jpg

22a57d7308.jpg

22a7740d68.jpg

22a93f1948.jpg

22ab837460.jpg

22ad787e01.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Doc that skitter caddis looks like an original of yours. Thank you for posting it, it looks too fishy to be admired in a picture. I will give it a try and tie a few, there are some flats on bow river that are calling for this kind of fly late at night.

Doc that skitter caddis looks like an original of yours. Thank you for posting it, it looks too fishy to be admired in a picture. I will give it a try and tie a few, there are some flats on bow river that are calling for this kind of fly late at night.

Yep sure is, I try to tie for Local waters. You are dead on for the waters.

• 2 weeks later...

The Usual

Met the originator of this fly Fran Betters in the 70's when I fished the AuSable River in the Adirondacks for a week. Spent 4 rainly days in his shop with him, when he found I could tie I helped to fill his fly bins with his signature patterns. He gave me one of his rental fiberglass rods that he built (slighty damaged). Really nice guy, signed a book for me and fed me. His dog didn't like me so much though, liked to munch my cuffs. Even with the rain the fly shop was busy with guys and gals dropping in some to just say “Hi”.

Got really good at tying Usuals, haystacks, Ausable Wulff's etc. Still have a half dozen of his flies that I treasure. Corresponded with him for a while till he got ill. I often change up my Usual bodies with Beaver to imitate the early March Brown etc. hatch. A really flexible fly, that I still fish a lot.

usual.jpg

usual2.jpg

• Like 5

I like emergers and have a couple of patterns that I fish, there are times when trout look like they are rising to take dries when in fact they are keying in on flies that are still trapped in the miscus . They've rescued me from a seemingly endless run of failed attempts to match the hatch. They weren't taking duns. Surface tension of water is an important thing that creates the "film" layer that is important to fish and anglers alike . Water surface tension is a major obstacle to Mayflies and other insects.

Hanging below that film will entice strikes at times. When tying think of materials that make sense. This one has soft hackle tail and a ball of CDC to keep it afloat and create a bubble on the back just like many mayfly nymphs use to get to the surface. Seeing the back of a Trout "bulging" just above the surface with no bubbles or splash is one good indication. Nose poke and bubbles are a perfect indication of trout surface feeding. Oops better stop yapping as I can go on forever.

IMG_2235.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...