Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2017 Edition

SilverDoctor

Jake's gulp beetle?

I haven't named it, but it's a basic pattern with a peacock ice dub underbody and midge floss legs. It's my go to fly on the small spring creeks with heavy brush I frequent. I lose a lot, my friends lose more, and many more get chewed to bits. It lands with a satisfying little plop that gets their attention, but rarely spooks them - kinda like what Jensen was doing with his beadhead in his latest video. I'm hoping 210 get me through the season!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with tenkara flies by saying what if I were to add multiple hackles, try a fore and aft, trying grouse or hen hackle, use different materials or colours of thread for the body, add a tail, use wire to add weight, etc.

I was using up the bits and pieces of scrap materials on my tying desk to see what effects I could achieve.

Here are the results of my experiments.

post-5551-0-19657700-1486491036_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I will try posting some closeups of my tenkara experiments. This first one is not all that unusual. I used a hen hackle, and a chartreuse Uni 8/0 thread. The body is done like a "low water" style whereas my usual tye has the body curved down the bend. I covered the thread wraps with head cement to make it glow a little.

post-5551-0-07421200-1486596296_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

P1160392_zpsvphqwtxe.jpg

Jeff's Fly tied in honour of my good friend Jeff Willson, rest in peace my friend. It's hard to believe it's almost been two years since he passed.

20160624_132612_zpsokpwyyu0.jpg

It's been a cold winter, so I have spent a lot of time at the bench.

P1160385_zpsddjixgoe.jpg

P1160393_zpsknsxngdo.jpg

P1160394_zpsefiefnxq.jpg

P1160396_zpsevwncbbc.jpg

P1160399_zpsx8txdmmi.jpg

ggp ;;;Gorgeous flies & Gorgeous bench....Jeff i'm sure would agree. I miss the lonng conversations with Jeff

• Like 1

Another one of my tenkara fly experiments. This one has a double Sakasa Kebari hackle. Partridge in the front, a little too thick even for my taste, and then a sparse grouse hackle in the middle. Some errant grouse fibres sticking out in the wrong direction. (I don't think the fish care.) Red thread body.

post-5551-0-21899900-1486697928_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I realize that these tenkara flies that I am posting are really simple to tie, and that I am just complicating them by adding more or different materials. My additions may be unnecessary but satisfy a need I have to see what else can be done with a simple variation.

Here I have added a white bead for weight and a little flash. And added a tail.

When I use beads I always build up the base with thread wraps so the bead just barely fits over the thread. Then I build up a head between the eye and the bead to cover the front opening of the bead. I could whip finish, but instead I hop the thread over the bead and build up wraps behind it to hold it in place. When there is a little space left between the thread wraps and bead opening I put some head cement (or superglue depending on what is on hand) so that it runs into the space. More head cement on the head and over the exposed thread on the bead, and then I finish wrapping so the larger hole in the bead is covered.

I do this with all my bead head flies because I have found that if you just let the beads rattle around on the hook shaft then they push on the body and the fly starts to come apart. It has also been pointed out to me that I could just put superglue in the space between the bead and the hook shaft and it would achieve the same result.

The tail on this fly is just the tip of the grouse feather I use for the hackle.

The thread body is Pearsall's Gossamer Silk thread in antique gold, covered with cement.

post-5551-0-99260800-1486757838_thumb.jpg

Assuming that Bron is asking this question about my tenkara flies, I will answer.

You can fish them in a few different ways depending on which rod and line you are using. Using a standard fly rod and line I swing them down and across, but I also cast them upstream and retrieve a little faster than the current speed.

Using a tenkara rod and line you are limited in how far you can cast them, so I tend to work them in short pulses through a likely drift. But having said that the actual motion is a combination of dead drift to let the fly sink, pulsing the fly to make the hackles flutter, and swinging at the end of the drift.

I hope this answers your question.

• Like 2