Fly Fusion Forums

Advice - The Wife Has Been Online Shopping

snuffy

So my darling wife got bored on her academic days and, knowing that I needed waders and a new reel for my 3wt, bought me some Christmas presents. However, she doesn't know much about gear and didn't solicit my advice, so what she bought is a tad bizarre. I don't want to unnecessarily hurt her feelings by exchanging these items, but neither do I want to end up throwing good money after bad.

Waders - Orvis Silver Sonic Convertibles. These seem like nicer versions of your typical lightweight waders, but my experience with lightweight waders consisted of using them a few times, waiting 2 months for warranty, using the replacement pair a few times, waiting 3 months for warranty, and giving up and buying something more durable. It doesn't help that most of my fishing involves epic bushwacks on streams like Stauffer. Anyone know if these buck the trend or if they are a PITA?

Reel - CFO. I know that these have a following amoung collectors, but they strike me as being akin to brazed steel bicycle frames in the age of carbon fiber - i.e. one uses one not because it is the best tool for the job, but because one want to use a CFO. Meanwhile they are selling the top of the line Mirage for $150 less. Worth hanging onto from a utilitarian perspective?

Sage advice. She was my most reliable fishing buddy until we spawned recently! More than anything, I have grave reservations about the durability of the waders and there's nothing worse than having to sit out most of the season because of dodgy equipment. [Pet peeve: high quality waders for women are rarer than hen's teeth.] Orvis is blowing out the Mirage reels at half price, so the difference would cover most of the difference between the silver sonic convertibles and the silver sonic guides. I seem to recall that a few years back Orvis had so many problems with their waders that a lot of shops stopped carrying them, but I'm stuck with them.

Buddy has had issues with Mirage reels allowing line to slip out around the spool while fishing. It has happened on a few models. Tolerances must not be tight enough. Other than that, he likes them. Perhaps they are upgrading the model and getting rid of old stock

Orvis guide waders are pretty decent waders.

I have the travel light silver sonics. Have had them for 4 years now. Not sure they make them anymore.

They get used and abused! Never had a single manufacturer problem with them.

I did put a hole in them with a nail a year in. Sent them back, replaced no questions asked.

A pretty hardy wader. Only this fall did they finally develop a leak. Went way beyond what I thought they would do I will be buying Orvis silver sonics again. My 2 cents.

Thank you all for your input. Truly, these are first world problems and, yes, she is a keeper 100 times over.

Roast - steel is real! I got so sick of swapping to my back up frame and playing warranty tag with Drek my last few years of racing that I bought Ti and put the warranty frame on ebay.

• Like 1