Fly Fusion Forums

No Calgary Flyfishing Show In 2017

chend

In January of 2001 Calgarians were introduced to the Western Canadian Fly Fishing Exposition. Over the last 14 years it has grown to represent all of western Canada and throughout that time so many great friendships have been formed. The show floor is always packed full of folks who have become part of our extended family. The exposition has become the annual "watering hole" for the western Canadian fly-fishing community, is well respected by industry and is a must attend event on the consumer show circuit.

For the Bird family, this event has afforded the opportunity to remain close, which for us, is so much more valuable than any financial measurement. So many good things have come from the exposition, including Fly Fusion Magazine, the International Fly Fishing Film Festival, Fly Fusion Television and a new project in development. We can’t begin to express just how grateful we are to you, the exhibitors, for your loyal dedication.

For the 2017 trade show season we have decided to not produce the exposition. Instead, weare going to take the opportunity to join the show circuit (The Fly Fishing Shows) and visit a number of different cities throughout North America with Fly Fusion - that is long overdue!

We believe wholeheartedly in the value of connecting with the fly-fishing community face-to-face. We are not closing the doors on the exposition and hold the ongoing option, desire and capacity to produce the Western Canadian Fly Fishing Exposition at any time in partnership with the will and needs of the fly-fishing community.

On behalf of the Bird family - thank you! "

The show must have been a good money maker..

You don't cancel something if it's projected to continue making good money ;)

I think the show was stagnating and I'm pretty sure there were fewer exhibitor booths last year. I heard a number of people complain that they could never use the casting pond to try a rod because the same one or two guys were always up there all weekend. If you want to check out a good fly fishing event this spring head down to Lethbridge for the Chinook Waters conclave. I went for the first time last spring and had a great time.

• Like 2

Stale format, needs to be completely re-tooled. Show needs to consult with local fly shops and key reps to make it more compelling (IMO).

Agree that exhibitors have been declining rapidly over the past two years.

On another note, Also noticed that the TU fly fishing tackle swap/garage sale has been declining in number of tables selling the past couple of years.....

Yes I also the number of tables decreasing at the TU tackle swap. Is this an indication of lack of interest in keeping the promoting the fly fishing industry in the area? Didn't they cancel a tackle swap a few years ago too?

That's too bad. I've only attended one (last year) but found it an awesome way to shake the winter blues and get super excited for the upcoming season. Really enjoyed seeing the gear, guides etc. and more than anything, the information sessions. I was able to catch clinics from Jim, Gary and Tom and loved 'em. My big takeaway was how cool fly fishing is as a sport/hobby in that you can have several "Gretzky's" of the sport (if you will) in one room and they're all approachable friendly people dispensing advice freely. Will have to check out Lethbridge.

There is nothing that will EVER replace human interaction !

danhunt, why don't you just go to youtube, who needs human interaction anymore ?

Right ?

This is what is wrong with society anymore.

Back in the day you could either order a book, hang out with people more versed in this activity.

Or just suck it up and face the learning curve on your own.

Pity the folk's in the future..

Sheesh.

Having done some online learning through a uni and plenty of webinars through work, I can definitely state my preference for face-to-face stuff over webinar/online/virtual sessions. That said, it may be a function of what you've been exposed to, what you "grew up" with, your learning style, etc. I think Danhunt's point about access virtually in addition to face-to-face sessions is valid though; I don't think he was suggesting getting rid of the sessions in favour of pure virtual. Not everyone can hit the city on those given days and times, so a live stream option would just make them that much more accessible to folks. I would have liked to get to a session or two from Jim McLennan last year, but as an out-of-towner myself just couldn't fit it all in. I chose the Borger and Rosenbauer sessions, and took Jim's intermediate course on the water last summer instead.

• Like 1

One of the biggest issues with any trade show is to understand what the customer wants far more than what the exhibitors and the organizers want for the dollars invested. The show should be a public relations exercise for the exhibitor, not just a money grab!

What has happened with this show is a lack of foresight from the organizers in so far as having the same list of seminars given by the same presenters year after year. And in most case the topics presented by well meaning individuals with little professional speaking experience. Who wants to listen to the same old topics presented in a barn with poor seating and audio visual techniques. You can go the the web site and get your fill of this stuff while sipping a beer!

In addition with some exceptions the majority of exhibitors are focused on setting up a box to sell discontinued or slow moving items. Little thought has been put into the marketing of their company and the products they sell. If an exhibitor is not direct selling to the public, the question is often asked " What am I doing here that could not be accomplished at home?"

We end up with exhibitors attending shows because " They are noticeable by their absence" if they don't exhibit!

This show is no exception, it happens everywhere and in every market. Some of the best shows I have been to over the years in both business and pleasure have been one or two days max duration with no direct selling opportunities. Is this the future of Calgary's Fly Fishing Expo?

• Like 3

with no direct selling opportunities.

That's what I'd rather see - manufacturer reps showing us their wares (the Far Bank aka Sage/Redington/Rio booth was a perfect example) with the ability to try some rods, destination lodge booths, guide companies, and conservation orgs. Add fresh seminars and demos into the mix and you have a great show.

There are still a few problems though. If booth costs are too high then it's tough to justify the expense if you can't sell direct. You also have a number of reps who live quite a distance from Calgary - a couple of them are up in Terrace - and they also guide so you have to be able to schedule around them. It's not insurmountable, but it's also a lot more complicated than a lot of people think.

• Like 2

If an exhibitor as an owner of a business has not the foresight to invest is PR and promotion of his business I wonder just how long that business will be around!

I think most of the companies invest in PR and promotion but didn't see the Calgary show as being worthwhile. A lot of people went there looking for deals on gear and flies since it felt more like a garage sale than an actual expo. No matter what, PR and marketing budgets are limited so you have to choose where to spend it wisely. Would you rather pay for a booth in Calgary or Denver if that's what it came down to? Notable companies that weren't at the last Calgary show but had been there previously include Simms, Loomis, and Echo/Airflo. I'd say those companies have healthy PR and marketing budgets and will be around a while but for whatever reason stopped coming here.

• Like 2