Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Vs Skiff

marks

opinions and experience on using drift boat and or skiff on lower bow and for stillwater lakes.are the newer skiffs(RO,ADIPOSE,HEADHUNTER)adequate for lower bow to mckinnon and is a traditional drifter ( 14 ft low pro )ok for stillwater.

i'll use about 50/50 on lakes and for bow floats.

skiff seems better for stillwater but how is it on lower bow

As SD aluded drift boats are for drifting. They don't make good flat water craft - tough to troll holding a rod and oars. Don't anchor well in the wind.

I've got a 12' tinnie a HYDE lopro and a pontoon. Pontoon has only seen water once in many years. Used only to float pool to pool.

Tinnie is for lakes. 9.9 to get to the end of the lake. Electric for slow moving and fish spotting.

No one boat will do it all.

• Like 1

Drfift boat is great for both moving and flat water in my opinion. Ive got a XL hybrid so its basically a high side with a few low spots on each side to step out of, It really is a dream on flat water. You have it set up right with a anchor mount on the front, i run a 35 pound in the back and a 25 pound in the front and have fished in pretty heavy winds no problem. Its very stable even in moderate waves, Any boat is going to be headed to shore if its bad enough. Trolling couldn't tell you even though I have a electric motor to mount on mine, i would rather sink to the bottom than troll with my fly rods.

Yes any of those boats would be ideal for the bow, its really a rather tame river to take a boat down.

• Like 1

Just one thing to think about, & that is where are you going to use it. I have a Clackacraft drift boat & for most waters a skiff would do the job but there has been the odd time where I put water over the bow & with a skiff it would have been a whole lot more water that what it was. So if you think that maybe in the future you might be venturing into some little wilder water then the drift boat is the answer.

As far as what skiff I was sold on the Adipose & was very close to pulling the trigger on one except for the above reason & the price that the new Clack was in comparison. Adipose has just announced a new boat with a higher front but the same layout as the skiff, which might be something to look into it's called the Runoff.

I've had a traditional drift boat in the past, followed by a 12' NRS inflatable and moved over the a RO skiff 5 years ago. Traditional drift boats were designed for fast, rough water on the west coast. As drift boats became more popular Clackacraft, Hyde and other manufacturers developed the low-profile drift boat that is more common nowadays. One of the big disadvantages of a drift boat is the lack of a panoramic view of the river from the rowers seat. A skiff does not have the "sail" on the front end that gives you 2 advantages: the wind will not catch the boat as much and secondly you can see all of the river ahead of you from the rowers seat.

Over the past 3 years the Adipose Flow (a hybrid between the skiff and a traditional drift boat design) has dominated sales in Montana in particular. Hyde and RO followed with a copy of the design. For your own use the RO skiff is light and very maneuverable. But if you ever want to guide the Bow River buy a traditional drift boat or Adipose Flow. Price will more than likely govern your decision. The Adipose Flow has increased in price over the past year. Your best bet is to buy a used Claka or Hyde in the US. There are plenty around.