Fly Fusion Forums

Life Vest

I have had a manual, inflatable one for numerous years now. It is very comfortable and about the first thing I put on when going for a float. Before I got the inflatable, I had a regular, foam type of vest. It certainly worked but was no where near as comfortable. Highly recommend the inflatable, your choice on the automatic or manual operation.

Murray have you ever had to use it? Would it hold you up with waders on etc? What brand did you get? Thanks.

I've had the vest for several years now but have never had to deploy it. It is a Mustang, manual inflatable vest and I do feel that it would keep you afloat even with your waders on. My thoughts are that if you are in the water with waders on and life vest inflated that it would keep your head above water. The weight of your water filled waders should only come in to play when you are trying to lift those same filled waders higher than the surface of the river or climb out of the river. I could be wrong on that but that is the way I'm thinking anyway.

The good thing about the inflatables is that it does not hinder your arm movements so you can easily cast. I had not considered wearing it when wading until this year. I think I will be wearing it at all times from here on.

• Like 2

The weight of your water filled waders should only come in to play when you are trying to lift those same filled waders higher than the surface of the river or climb out of the river. I could be wrong on that but that is the way I'm thinking anyway.

You are not wrong. The water inside your waders is the same weight as the water all around you. It doesn't suddenly sink to the bottom of the river just becayse it is in tour waders. It can be an issue when exiting the water, especially if you have to haul yourself up a bank.

I've taken a serious dunk in my younger days, once on the Skeena. This was pre-inflation vests and can attest to how to be dunked with waders and boots. Both times I was able to float on my back a few hundred yards till I hit shallows (they didn't pull me down but were negative buoyant and very clumsy to float in). One thing that was important was a belt on my waders. There was also another incident where my boat was hit by some drunks in a rented speedboat. I believe my inflatable saved my bacon that time. the longer you spend on the water the more are the chances that something beyond your control may happen.

• Like 1

I have the Bass Pro A/M 24, that I use when on my float tube. First thing I did after purchasing was visited a buddy who has a backyard pool. Tested it out, made sure I was able to deploy "under pressure" and to see what it would feel like. Those little cartridges pack a surprising amount of air into the bladder, and it is every bit as buoyant as a foamy. Probably not a bad idea to test it annually... I will take that sage advice and manually inflate it this spring when I check the expiry dates on my CO2 cartridge(s). Maybe this year I'll practice having to manually inflate it while in the water, all while wearing my waders. My wife will love capturing it all on video, I'm sure.

Absolutely practice with a cartridge. I pulled an old out one for use and the cartridges were expired so I tested it out. Apparently I had packed on a few pounds since the last time I wore it. The straps were a bit snug. The thing went off like a cannon and damn near choked the life out of me!

• Like 3

I recently got a big scare falling in from shore,no waders on. It was a shallow area with not much current. It got me to thinking i should wear one even bank fishing. At 70 years old balance isnt so good anymore.

Do the inflateable ones have only one chamber? Guess i could google but its on topic at least sort of.

I recently got a big scare falling in from shore,no waders on. It was a shallow area with not much current. It got me to thinking i should wear one even bank fishing. At 70 years old balance isnt so good anymore.

Do the inflateable ones have only one chamber? Guess i could google but its on topic at least sort of.

One CO2 cartridge, one chamber.

X2 for the mustangs. So low profile, you dont mind wearing it at all. Important to remember to wear your wading belt and have it reasonably tight. Fell through an ice shelf in February a few years back, and my upper was soaked, but thanks to the belt, legs were mostly dry. On a side note, being wet on long cold walks sucks. I have the mit 100s got em at fishin hole.

• Like 1

Anywhere you can buy the vests, you should be able to buy the cartridges as well. I found they are a little pricey locally, so have tended to look when I'm up in the "big city". Never thought of looking at the Fishing Hole, so will check the next time I'm there.

Where did you buy it?

Funny shortly after reading this thread from the start i got to chatting with a friend about getting motivated to getting one. Ended up he had one though i didnt know that. He decided he wasnt ever going to use it. Price was right. Walla its mine.

• Like 1