Fly Fusion Forums

Waterproof Backpack

I have a bit of an obsession with these packs and have had the Patagonia Stromfront backpack with the waterproof zipper, then the same but in the sling version, and now I have the Stromfront rolltop backpack.

I usually always carry my Canon 7D so that is why I really enjoy a watertight bag. What I didn't like with the original Stromfront pack is that it didn't have a waist belt on it, the new version does but it also retails at $365 in Canada.

So I then gravitated towards the sling as it looks really cool and is not as much $ as the backpack. I also thought it would be better for casting. That is not the case however and you are better to lay the pack on the bank if you're fishing a big run...

The sling works great as long as you are not putting a lot of weight in it. In my case with a DSLR camera and a full nalgene bottle, plus fly boxes, it was quite heavy. Seeing as all the weight is on one shoulder, you feel quite unbalanced. It makes more sense to go for the backpack.

So now I use the Stromfront rolltop. It's quite a bit less money than the zipper version. Waterproof zippers are very expensive. Secondly these waterproof zippers aren't that easy to open anyways, so you are not giving away much convenience by opting for the rolltop.

Also have the fishpond thunderhead sling. I opted for it because of price and all the external tabs and rings for attaching my beanie boos. In all seriousness though, it's one of the best purchases I've made. I usually carry my DSLR, 2 lenses, 3 fly boxes, plus all my accessories and there's always plenty of room remaining. Before I replaced the soles on my wading boots I took a few falls into the river, and one that completely submerged my sling. In all cases, no moisture got through the zipper and into the bag. I did throw a couple of silica packs from a delivery box into the bag though just to keep the moisture out.

The other plus that I just realized, when the zippper is shut tight the sling pack holds air in very well making it an inadvertent pfd. Too bad it's on my back though and would make me float face down

Anyone have experience with either the Simms or Patagonia waterproof backpacks? Good or bad. They are pricey but worth it if it keeps everything dry. Thoughts?

I have the Simms Dry Creek hip pack roll top, and it is the same style as their roll top backpack. Really solid bags, I trust it with camera gear and everything that I wouldn't like to put in a normal pack. Super roomy as well.

I have the Simms waterproof backpack and have been very happy with it. The hip belt isn't as beefy as Patagonia version, but I generally just use the chest strap. With all waterproof backpacks, you need to make sure you pull the zipper verrrrrry tight.

Even though I'm a big fan of Patagonia, I've had a Fishpond for a long time and love it. It's been in a lot of nasty weather steelheading and it's always kept me high and dry. Bad news is, I just looked at the their website and doesn't look like they carry it anymore. Both Iron Bow and Fish Tales carry Simms and Patagonia.

Could try Bow River Troutfitters as they sell Fish Pond.

Even though I'm a big fan of Patagonia, I've had a Fishpond for a long time and love it. It's been in a lot of nasty weather steelheading and it's always kept me high and dry. Bad news is, I just looked at the their website and doesn't look like they carry it anymore. Both Iron Bow and Fish Tales carry Simms and Patagonia.

With rolltops you have to make sure it's wrapped tight or it can unravel a bit and let water in. Sounds quite obvious but if you were to open it, remove an item, you then need to roll it a bit tighter than before.

And as has been mentionned, you have to be careful with the T-zips too, the last centimeter or so is harder to close so you have to pay attention. And yes using the provided lube on these zippers helps a lot.

The Fishponds are nice too, the fabric is not as thick on them as on the Patagonia and Simms bags, but they are less money too.

With rolltops you have to make sure it's wrapped tight or it can unravel a bit and let water in. Sounds quite obvious but if you were to open it, remove an item, you then need to roll it a bit tighter than before.

And as has been mentionned, you have to be careful with the T-zips too, the last centimeter or so is harder to close so you have to pay attention. And yes using the provided lube on these zippers helps a lot.

The Fishponds are nice too, the fabric is not as thick on them as on the Patagonia and Simms bags, but they are less money too.

I've got a Patagonia roll top and the sling with the zipper. With both after I close them I give the bag a squeeze to make sure no air escapes and they have an airtight seal.

I'd stay away from a sling pack if you wear a vest with stuff in the pockets and what have you's hanging off the front such as hemo's, nippers, floatant etc. Having a strap cutting across the front of a vest of full pockets would be a pain. Go with conventional shoulder straps.

I wear my vest most of the time as its waxed and repells drizzel. I repack my waterproof sling for obvious rainly days, one or the other. Although I usually take it with me on trips as a backup in case the weather turns. Nice to have the option. Also if you carry a standard camera its great for protection it.