Fly Fusion Forums

Stripping Streamers

Walton

Personally, I would use a dedicated sink tip (250 gr) and use non-weighted streamers for your 9' and leave a floating line on your 10' for nymphing and weighted streamers, but that's just me... I know some on here are pretty keen on the Rio versa-tip system...

P

Ya, fishing a loop-on sink tip system out of a boat is going to suck, as typically you should be stripping almost to the leader. If you're using a loop-on, you're going to be super annoyed when that loop hangs up on the tip-top (and it will, even the best ones do..). A dedicated sink tip is worth it's weight... Particularly since the bow river fish seem to be adverse to eating anything but streamers the last two years (well, or those nymph things). A 250 gr would work on both your rods

• Like 2

Yup!! This!!

I cut my streamer express back to 15. 15 is plenty.

I like the streamer express as it has the intermediate running line, keeps your fly down longer. Only issue is the mono core tends to tangle a bunch

I often only use 10 feet. You don't need to go over 15ft.

If you are going to make your own, just keep it short so the loops don't have to go inside the tip top.

I broke a tip off a sink tip on a snag once and just looped a piece of old full sink type IV lake line on the running line. Still going strong.

I would suggest a 10ft type V or VI sink tip. Rio or Sci Anglers will have something for you.

Have some weighted and unweighted streamers available to choose from

• Like 2

What lines are you guys attaching these tips to? Everything I've paired mine to are a pita to cast on my sh. I get maybe 50 feet from the boat with a weighted fly or two , but working my ass off.

Anyone know if the versitip tips have different amount of mass going though the line weights? Or are they consistent number of grains per foot? For example, would a type 6 tip from a #5 versitip system be heavier than a type 6 from a 8 versitip kit?

Seems like a dumb question, I just assumed they would all be the same grains/foot.

I really like the integrated sink tip airflo lines - I know BRT keeps them in stock. They have a heavy belly section to turn over big flies, and you can trim the tip to desired length and whip a loop on the end. Really like this set-up out of the boat for casting to juicy bank structure, as long as you don't get cute with back casts you shouldn't end up with new piecings. I had one line break on me, mailed it in to airflo, and they replaced it no questions asked.

• Like 1

What lines are you guys attaching these tips to? Everything I've paired mine to are a pita to cast on my sh. I get maybe 50 feet from the boat with a weighted fly or two , but working my ass off.

Anyone know if the versitip tips have different amount of mass going though the line weights? Or are they consistent number of grains per foot? For example, would a type 6 tip from a #5 versitip system be heavier than a type 6 from a 8 versitip kit?

Seems like a dumb question, I just assumed they would all be the same grains/foot.

The Versitips should be different grain weights depending on line size.

5wt - 55gr

6wt - 65gr

7wt - 75gr

8wt - 85gr

9wt - 95gr

• Like 1