Fly Fusion Forums

Moving To New Zealand!

Dxh

Hey guys,

Going on a trip of a lifetime to NZ on a holiday working visa leaving November 9th. One way ticket landing in Wellington but after that I have no set plans! Im wondering if anyone has been over there before for fishing and has any tips or suggestions on where I should set up home and find a job to be close to some great fishing. Been doing some research online and have an idea where I want to go, just looking for others input who may have some experience. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Hey DHX,

That's unreal! Good for you.

I can point you to a couple systems on the North island I've had some luck on - just send me a PM. And cross your heart with a needle in your eye. There is a ton of water there I haven't explored though that's on my list, I'm far from a local expert yet! But I know where I would live on the NI.

Awesome!! Sounds like a blast and I can fill you in on some North Island fishing but for anything on the South then Dave would be a good resource. Also join the NZ forum http://www.flyfishingforum.co.nz/

For the north island Taupo is where you want to be or in Turangi. Both towns are trout crazy. Trout on signs, streets and just about everywhere. I've fished the Tongariro and caught a few nice lake run trout. Super nice river steeped in history. If you stay in Turangi you can stay and just walk to the river. Lots of accommodations close to the river. But so far my favorite are the smaller creeks that are between Turangi and Taupo. The Waitahanui is a beauty of a river, this is the river I caught my monster brown on(30"), it's just one sweet pool after another.You can also fish the mouth of this river shoulder to shoulder with all the others as the fish leave the lake to go upstream. Super cool to see super large fish swim by as pumice stones float past. The Hinemaiaia is another stunner of a river with lots of great holding water. Both these streams are easy to walk with great trails. I would recommend fishing on the weekdays and site see on the weekend. If you need more detailed info drop me a pm.

Awesome!! Sounds like a blast and I can fill you in on some North Island fishing but for anything on the South then Dave would be a good resource. Also join the NZ forum http://www.flyfishingforum.co.nz/

For the north island Taupo is where you want to be or in Turangi. Both towns are trout crazy. Trout on signs, streets and just about everywhere. I've fished the Tongariro and caught a few nice lake run trout. Super nice river steeped in history. If you stay in Turangi you can stay and just walk to the river. Lots of accommodations close to the river. But so far my favorite are the smaller creeks that are between Turangi and Taupo. The Waitahanui is a beauty of a river, this is the river I caught my monster brown on(30"), it's just one sweet pool after another.You can also fish the mouth of this river shoulder to shoulder with all the others as the fish leave the lake to go upstream. Super cool to see super large fish swim by as pumice stones float past. The Hinemaiaia is another stunner of a river with lots of great holding water. Both these streams are easy to walk with great trails. I would recommend fishing on the weekdays and site see on the weekend. If you need more detailed info drop me a pm.

IMG_0983.jpgIMG_0985.jpgIMG_0997.jpg

The Waitahnui is a beautiful river, watched some massive trout (rivaled any of the VI steelhead I had seen up to that point) lazily swim around completely oblivious to my cicada patterns. The evening bite at the mouth where it flows into Lk. Taupo was a blast. Saw some folks casting nets on a few beaches for some Mackeral and what not, sure they could have been tempted to take a fly if one gave it a shot.IMG_0864.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

Spent a month there but never did get to the South Island, certainly on my bucket list, Darrin you are a lucky guy, enjoy!!

Colin

• Like 1

Lucky you!

I did the same thing 15 years ago spending 1 month in the north island and 5 months in the south island. I'll never forget my experience there, I literally fished every day in a different area for an entire month living out of a camper van. Unfortunately, I only started fly fishing in NZ when I bought my first fly rod over there on a whim so I didn't have the experience I do now so I didn't get much time to explore a lot of the rivers. I did a ton of fishing in the sea with my spin rod and if you get the chance, definitely try chucking a fly line into the sea, there are some amazing fish there (and tasty too!).

When I did fly fish, I spent most of my time in the Queenstown area and it's a mecca for everything wild and outdoors NZ has to offer. There's some great hiking and fishing in that area.

Since you are on a working holiday, I found that work was easiest to get around the Nelson area as that is kinda like the Okanagan area of Canada with a lot of fruit and vegetable farms to find temp work at. You're going right near the start of their summer so they'll probably be hiring already. I did well catching fish in the river with my spin rod in the Motueka river near Nelson also. Sorry but I can't remember any more specific rivers I fished as it was so long ago now.

This website has a decent list of rivers and the island is so small, it's pretty easy to drive to a different area every day. http://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/ten-great-fishing-rivers/

Last thing, if you get the chance to go to the north island, hit up 90 mile beach and go digging for pipi's (clams) in the sea with your bare feet like the locals do. Get two live pipi's, smash them together and wash them out in the sea and eat raw, amazing experience on par with eating fresh oysters.

This website has a decent list of rivers and the island is so small, you can probably fish a different area every day.

• Like 1