Fly Fusion Forums

Reinforcing Waders

razz

I spend a lot of time bushwaking through the foothills and as a result the shins of my wading pants take a beating throughout the course of a season. I've been thinking about putting a strip of protective material on the outside of the shin area to try and prolong the life of my waders. Anyone ever try something like this or have suggestions/ideas on materials or methods? Thanks guys,

Razz

Ya my Simms G4s are rat bagged after about three seasons. The whole leg below the knee is essentially solid aquaseal and now they're leaking at the seam to the booties. Was debating sending them back to Simms as I've heard from other guys that they've had leaking problems as well.

Not sure what you could put on the leg to protect them as that would affect the breathability. Which I suppose

Is really gone on mine Now that it's caked in aquaseal.

Ya that's what ticks me off even more, I don't wear waders for the most part from the end of May to the end of August and they're still shot. Pretty bad for 700 dollar waders. Not to mention the guide boots I've worn a hole in since August 2014.

Side question for the guides here. How long do you expect your gear to last?

Ya that's what ticks me off even more, I don't wear waders for the most part from the end of May to the end of August and they're still shot. Pretty bad for 700 dollar waders. Not to mention the guide boots I've worn a hole in since August 2014.

Side question for the guides here. How long do you expect your gear to last?

Couple seasons if you're lucky. My G4's are toast after 3 years of pretty good use. Take them to BC once and into devil's club territory and they're sieves in a week

Yeah Jayhad. One can only expect so much. I dont know of a more solid wader or boot than Simms.

I have had a pair of original model Guides for a long time now. I don't think I have repaired them yet. But Bron probably has more days on his in three seasons than I have on mine in 8.

That said, Simms has always been a solid company. Send them back and see what happens.

A w&w guide doing the miles will use 2 pr boots a yr, 1 pr waders. Don't try to adhere extra patch/reinforcing to the waders as the area about the patch/reinforcing will become harder than the wader material and that transition will then fail. It's been done before and your waders end up looking like hell and leaking even worse and are no longer on warranty. Send 'em back. And no company is going to design waders for the 200 days/yr angler and give a 5 yr warranty. 1000 days is about 8 to 10 times what they're designed to warranty.

i've had my Simms g4z for about 4 years now, first and second year i put about 150 days a year each year. with lots of hiking around the bush

now with a child probably get out about 50 times a year with absolutely no holes, leaks or tears, very happy with the quality.

also the simms riverteck boots are 4 years in and going strong, first day i got them i put the cleats on them.

just this past year i bought a new pair of guides just for the boat and absolutely no complaints.i bet i can still get another good 4-5 years from the riverteck boots