Fly Fusion Forums

Inflatable Fishing Raft ? And Maybe A Little Guidance Or Ideas

I'm a welder by trade and this year built a frame for my zodiac two seats and a casting bar anchor system anchors ect.Now I purchased a 14 foot white water raft and its big lol and it is not a self bailer it was smaller in my head and seemed like a good plan.Anyways the plan was to extend the frame and ad another seat and casting bar ect.My questions that are concerning me is.number one is floor being that it's not a self Bailer I have to build one so what would you use aluminum or wood and would you put foam or something underneath the floor?Would that work.Would you cut the thorts out which are the original raft seats or do you think that could cause a strength issue on the sides .Is 14 feet to big for control on the river is it going to be a pain in the ass to move around.Im concerned over these items and might sell or trade and look for a 10 or 12 foot or Jon boat or double pontoon I'm not sure.thanks for reading and appreciate your suggestions.

If this is a bow river only boat, being a self bailer isnt important IMHO. I have used a Metzeler 13' inflatable on the river for years. It is also a non bailer. Unless you are running the river at runoff or such, the river generally doesnt pose much of an issue as far as white water is concerned. You ll get very little water in the boat. I am not sure about removing the thwarts, I do not feel it would cause an issue with side tube stability though. AS for a floor... there are a few videos on you tube showing guys who have done exactly what you are looking for. I know it isnt exactly the same boat, but this video shows a guy who made a pretty cool floor for his boat.

on a side note...

Would you be able to build a frame for me? Like you, I am thinking of getting a smaller inflatable boat no more than 10 feet in length. but buying a frame from the USA and having it shipped up is cost prohibitive. it would also give the chance to be alittle more custom with the design.

Kieth, give me a shout on Thursday next week, I have a Zodiac with floor that I wanted to put seats in but did not have a rowing frame. The seats that I did come up with work very well, you might want to take a look. As mentioned above, the non bailer floor is a non issue as far as I'm concerned. I've had many floats on the river and the only water inside the boat was caused by heavy rainfall during the float. I have the wooden floorboards from an older shorter Zodiac that might work for you also.

I wonder what the "ideal" length for a raft would be...

We have a Metzler that is now 30 years old. Time to retire it. It was 11 feet long, and though at times I had 4 adults on the boat, it was always a squeeze.

I was thinking of going 14 feet, but I am concerned about the manoeuvrabilityof a larger raft. 14 feet is ideal for lakes; as long as I can put a motor on it. But! Does having a motor mount and hard floorboards complicate the issue?

Wondering what the perfect lake and river raft is for 2 to 3 people, safe for up to class 3, yet comfortable enough for the lakes and electric motors.

Sorry to hijack, good thread / discussion.

I wonder what the "ideal" length for a raft would be...

We have a Metzler that is now 30 years old. Time to retire it. It was 11 feet long, and though at times I had 4 adults on the boat, it was always a squeeze.

I was thinking of going 14 feet, but I am concerned about the manoeuvrabilityof a larger raft. 14 feet is ideal for lakes; as long as I can put a motor on it. But! Does having a motor mount and hard floorboards complicate the issue?

Wondering what the perfect lake and river raft is for 2 to 3 people, safe for up to class 3, yet comfortable enough for the lakes and electric motors.

Sorry to hijack, good thread / discussion.

I think it depends on what you are doing with it mostly Smitty..

9-12 feet is a 1-2 person raft and a 13-15 feet is generally considered a 3 person fly fishing raft. as far as the premade designs go. Are you looking for a raft ( both ends kick up, white water style) or more of a Tender type (transom for motor mount.)

Right now I am also looking to replace my 30 year old metzeler Juca. I am going to do somthing with a drop stitch floor.. much harder and more stable than an ibeam inflatable floor. This will alow me to stand up and cast from an inflatable boat. I dont need the transom for a motor mount ( even though I am sure one can be made for it)

This is my ideal dream boat.. All the benefits of a traditional driftboat, no need to launch from a boat launch.. I feel this would be the IDEAL bow river drfiter ( atleast until the launches are rebuilt and opened)

Jacks plastic welding Dragon fly Check out the creation of this boat and the floor idea.. pretty sweet.

http://www.jpwinc.com/newselfbailingraftfloorconcept.htm

dfrbwfrm13em.JPG

• Like 1

That's a sweet looking boat I think that a three person is great but I don't have three people to come with me lol just usually me and the wife.All my friends don't fly fish.Im planning on buying a drift boat in the next year or two or sooner if the right deal comes along.Im thinking floor wise for my project I'm going to go with foam insulation on the bottom the checker plate aluminum on the top or carpeted wood.This boat will only be used for the bow river.14 feet is huge but I think I will get buy or I'll fix it up over winter and sell in the spring.I love the boat in the pic and is certainly ideal.