Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Lessons?

BowLurker

Hello folks,

This is my first full season of fly fishing, and I've loved every day, rain or shine. Learned a bunch on my own, asked a lot of questions and this Forum has been a great help. So, yes I am a Novice.

One of my ultimate goals is to learn how to two-hand Spey cast, but for this year, I was interested in learning about streamer fishing.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my 6-7W rod this season, and I'm only running a 4W. So, should I try and learn about streamers when I take my Spey lessons, or are there lessons specific to streamer fishing?

I've tried zipping around a few 2" streamers with my 4W, but I know it's just not the same.

Thanks in advance,

-M.

You can fish streamers with a 4 wt and a great primer on streamer fishing can be found here:

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-seven-streamer-fishing

With a traditional 4 wt setup you will be limited on the size of fly you can throw, however recently there have been some really interesting developments with super short Skagit heads that allow you to throw some pretty meaty flies with lower weight single handed trout rods. Given your interest in double handed rods, this could be a relatively cheap way to learn some skagit casts, throw some bigger flies and fish some streamers,

Check out opst's youtube channel. Here is a good primer on what can be done with a 3/4 wt glass rod. Note Ed Ward, Jerry French and Co make what they are doing look really easy (it's not) but I have been having a lot of fun with it this year.

Skagit trout heads ~$50 are available at fish tales and country pleasures carry opst heads $75

• Like 4

You can fish streamers with a 4 wt and a great primer on streamer fishing can be found here:

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-seven-streamer-fishing

With a traditional 4 wt setup you will be limited on the size of fly you can throw, however recently there have been some really interesting developments with super short Skagit heads that allow you to throw some pretty meaty flies with lower weight single handed trout rods. Given your interest in double handed rods, this could be a relatively cheap way to learn some skagit casts, throw some bigger flies and fish some streamers,

Check out opst's youtube channel. Here is a good primer on what can be done with a 3/4 wt glass rod. Note Ed Ward, Jerry French and Co make what they are doing look really easy (it's not) but I have been having a lot of fun with it this year.

Skagit trout heads ~$50 are available at fish tales and country pleasures carry opst heads $75

Big props Roast, thanks a bunch.

I have watched the technique and strikes of said O video with fly box open. I appreciate the response.

I tried zipping some 2" buggers/Idahos around, got a few followers.

Glass rod streamer tech is dumping the entire pool of knowledge, whoa doggie.

Thanks for some thoughts,

-M.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so happens this was just posted yesterday .. Tonnes of Great streamer fishing Information here. From Dave at Fishtales flyshop and Jensen fly fishing.

http://flyfishalberta.com/jensenflyfishing/new-videos-streamer-fishing-the-bow-other-large-rivers/

Thanks for posting these, CanadianFish, and thanks to Fishtales and Jensen! Lots of great info there, and what a Rainbow near the end of Video 2! Monster fish.

I like the part where a fish takes the bottom streamer and un-snags the top fly from a log! :lol:

-M.

• Like 1