Fly Fusion Forums

Poachers

For those who have never called RAP, like me, what is their response time after placing a call? I assume getting a licence plate # would help the officer if they leave the area.

It is usually relative to how busy they are with other calls and where they might be in relation to the potential perpetrators location. I've had anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. My very best was at the parking lot of Fish Creek park. I never accuse but observe and report all I can. Have even strolled by and said, wow nice fish can I get a picture of you holding that stringer..................

• Like 6

For those who have never called RAP, like me, what is their response time after placing a call? I assume getting a licence plate # would help the officer if they leave the area.

I had one FNG officer come all the way from High River as everyone in Calgary was unavailable.

Was walking home through downtown and saw some suspicious activity. Gave RAP a call on my speed dial and they caught the guys before I got home, 15 mins maybe.

• Like 1

Re confronting poachers: a few years ago I posted here about what happened when I got mad and confronted a poacher near the Douglasdale baseball diamonds. In short , I said some rude things to a poacher who continued to bait fish after I had pointed out to him in a semi - friendly way that it was illegal. He went back to the car park and slashed tires. But it turned out he slashed the tires of of another fly fisher who hadn't been involved at all rather than mine. I felt sick about the whole thing and learned that the best thing to do is to stay back, say nothing and just call em in.

• Like 3

Almost caught 2 poachers fishing with bait, they saw me on the phone and took off while the conservation officer was closing in. Took me awhile to call cause i wasn't certain, need some binos.

Almost caught 2 poachers fishing with bait, they saw me on the phone and took off while the conservation officer was closing in. Took me awhile to call cause i wasn't certain, need some binos.

Good to have binos, but a word to the wise, it sort of relates to the post above you, wait til you're out of sight and earshot to make the call! Same situation has happened to me too.

• Like 1

Good to have binos, but a word to the wise, it sort of relates to the post above you, wait til you're out of sight and earshot to make the call! Same situation has happened to me too.

I'll keep that in mind, its too bad we cant just send a text and GPS coordinates, now that would make a convenient app.

Since that incident i put some binoculars in my car and used them the other night. Saw a bunch of guys fishing and taking turns looking inside a safeway bag, kinda weird. Thought I'd take a quick look with the binos but couldn't see what was in the bag, if its not a fish i don't know what else it could be.

Does anyone else get the feeling I may be taking this too far? I understand the need to look out for our resources but at the same time feel morally conflicted.

I never really payed attention to what other guys were doing on the water until recently. Last year I came across some guys fishing with what looked to be a pickerel rig, instead of spying on them i just upright asked them how the fishing was. One guy says they caught a bunch of legal sized white fish and returned some over sized rainbows, also mentioned they weren't using bait. I believed them and just went about my fishing. Sure enough about a week later I'm talking with a guys who fished that same section around the time i did. He brings up some poachers he reported and I immediately know exactly who hes referring to. I was able to identify the number of individuals, exactly where they were fishing and their appearance. Turns out that day I chatted with them they were busted for using bait, and keeping over sized fished. As naive as this sounds I guess i learned that poachers are f*ckers and are not to be trusted :lol:, but does this give me the right to spy on people?

Your friggin right it does. Don't leave the house looking to do it. But fisheries are a public resource. Poachers steal from all of us, As others have said with the new regs on the bow there is absolutely no way to plead confusion. They know damn well what they're doing. There is certain people you can give the benefit of the doubt, but if it's someone you talk to you can get about a 5 second read on them. It happens all the time up here,

• Like 1

Was riding along a dirt path on the Bow this afternoon and came across a group of guys fishing in beach chairs with a pail and one had a bobber. Called it in but didn't expect much as it was a difficult to reach spot. Turns out they found the guys- 4 counts of fishing with bait and 3 counts of poaching. Made my bike ride extra special today. When in doubt, call it in...

• Like 7

Was riding along a dirt path on the Bow this afternoon and came across a group of guys fishing in beach chairs with a pail and one had a bobber. Called it in but didn't expect much as it was a difficult to reach spot. Turns out they found the guys- 4 counts of fishing with bait and 3 counts of poaching. Made my bike ride extra special today. When in doubt, call it in...

Where abouts???.....I think I might have seen the same group! I figured something was up.... good job!

Your friggin right it does. Don't leave the house looking to do it. But fisheries are a public resource. Poachers steal from all of us, As others have said with the new regs on the bow there is absolutely no way to plead confusion. They know damn well what they're doing. There is certain people you can give the benefit of the doubt, but if it's someone you talk to you can get about a 5 second read on them. It happens all the time up here,

This x1000

I take poaching really personally. They aren't just breaking the rules, they are ruining the experience for the rest of us.

Talked to a F&W officer on the Bow yesterday. He said they're working on a RAP app for your cell phone and also being able to receive text messages. The text message part will be great if you're in an area with no cell service but have an InReach or Spot that allows you to send texts via satellite.

• Like 1

Talked to a F&W officer on the Bow yesterday. He said they're working on a RAP app for your cell phone and also being able to receive text messages. The text message part will be great if you're in an area with no cell service but have an InReach or Spot that allows you to send texts via satellite.

That would be good as you would be able to send an image from google maps showing the location as well.

• Like 1