Fly Fusion Forums

Tiger Trout Info

jasonvilly

I'm in Manitoba at the wife's cabin. 30 minutes away from twin.

Anyone have info on how to fish for tigers?

I hear they are pretty aggressive thinking dead drifting leeches, maybe stripping a booby?

Any input would be helpful

I've fished for tigers in Saskatchewan at a few different lakes. I've read that they can be aggressive, but honestly, I haven't experienced that. If anything, I think quite the opposite (they're partly browns as you know) so they can be wary/finicky. The ones I've caught have all been caught by stripping in streamers on a sink-tip or full sink. Others have been successful hanging flies under an indicator, but I haven't tried this as I don't care too much for the method.

I would say fish for them the same way you would fish for any other trout, be it, browns,rainbows or brookies. Hope that helps, Best of luck.

• Like 1

I hear they are pretty aggressive thinking dead drifting leeches, maybe stripping a booby?

Fish them like you would browns or brookies. I've had great days during chironomid hatches, but if there's no hatch, focus on structure. There's a beaver dam at the North end of the lake I like where I do well wind drifting leeches by (under indicator)

The reeds way across from the boat dock will hold tigers too. More shallow and you can sometimes have some lunch tossing boobies into those and ripping them back.

The narrow channel btwn the 2 lakes .Fish the drop-off,16' deepish water,then along the east shoreline,from the lauanch to the north bay.Thunder creek minnow small sz 12 olive green back/black back.ofcourse chironomids,bloodworms....

my method for lakes is simple and seems to get me into fish wherever i go. Black doc spratley on a 20' sink tip and wind drift. Wait for the hook up. Once i hook up i circle around and do it again and over and over. If i get into a spot where i hook up multiple times the anchor goes down and i let the doc sink to bottom and do the sllloooowwwww Brian Chan retrieve from bottom to top with a couple quick 6inch pulls once in a bit. this method has been great for me on Bullshead and Police.

Was there mid June with Phil Rowleys group. Over 100+ fish caught. Straight out from the boat launch across the lake, 13 to 17 feet of water, off the drop off. All Chironomids; black and reds, gunmetals, ice cream cones, purple glitters, and chromies. Black and red was the favourite.

Good luck!

Mike