Fly Fusion Forums

Watersheds Not Very Important To Ab Government?

Yet more cuts to the management of Alberta's water resources and fisheries. Seems our new government values this sort of work even less than our old one did. Maybe call the ministers office and ask about this, and about the cuts to the fisheries management offices that occurred over the past few months (in secrecy). Its a shame.

http://www.producer.com/2016/07/alta-watershed-programs-lose-govt-funding/

http://www.landstewardship.org/watershed-stewardship-grant-program/

Shannon Phillips is just getting going. She will force Albertans to spend between $30 and $50 billion (billion) on JUST the phasing out of coal power generation!! She and cabinet will spend countless billions of carbon tax money on pretending to change the earth's climate. Yet REAL environmental protection and mitigation will suffer badly. (Perhaps your example is the start.) For every billion we waste on ideological non solutions there is one billion less to spend on environmental protection.

Phillips was named one of Alberta's most influential persons. Unfortunately that accolade is akin to Time Magazine naming ISIS as "news maker of the year"! She is influential indeed, but her ideological plans are inane.

(And don't get me going about she is lying about coal plants affecting your health. She refuses to supply me with data supporting that claim because the data refute her false claims. The U of A refute her claim based on hard environmental monitoring data. And not one person on this board breaths emissions from coal plants. She is lying and will stop at nothing to hurt fossil fuels!)

Anyway, Phillips' legacy will be the waste of billions of dollars and the environment will suffer because of her ideological hate of ALL fossil fuels. She is just getting going and has three more years to lay waste to Alberta and Albertan's bank accounts.

Clive

• Like 1

Here's a question of interest - does CO2 from metallurgical coal mined in Alberta, shipped to China and burned there, contribute to the world wide level of GHG? It will be interesting to see how the Dippers deal with that question when it comes time to approve a new coal mine in the Crowsnest Pass. Think about that when you start paying higher power bills because we're shutting down coal power generation plants before their design life.

There is simply no interest in our fish and wildlife resources. Look up how many provincial fisheries biologists remain Alberta wide, and then count up the handful of technicians that have not had their positions terminated. Most will be shocked how few people are left to manage the provinces fish and aquatic resources. The new department (AEP) is also making it much tougher to get data/ share data of any sorts. I have not had a single request even responded too since the takeover. Under the previous minister, at least I always got an official response (often it said nothing of use, but at least it showed they read my letters). From what I've noticed, they are sure hiring a lot of carbon experts and parks managers which get big fat cheques, way less researchers and on the ground technician type employees. So frustrating. A lot of the watershed groups which had their funding cut were doing great things with very little resources. Not sure why people defend this minister, she has been brutal when it comes to our fisheries, rivers, and lakes.