Fly Fusion Forums

Hwy 40 Squatters

No matter what has changed, or how this is being done, the move is most welcome. Until now, in the past 4 decades little was done to enforce the 14-day regulation. Back in about 2004, a few "junior forest wardens" were handing out effete "warning" tickets that were no more than pieces of paper from Kopiko. Long letters to ministers with photos of hard evidence of abuse were ignored. The flag pole and sign at Ragged-Assed Road were taken down, but the gardens, hanging baskets, water pumps and cookhouse remained. I drove through there once and it was as if I was trespassing on private property.

There was no political will, but I sense that most of the fault lied with senior bureaucrats, but could be wrong. The politicians did not care and the managers just wanted to ignore it because they knew it would be difficult. Who knows?

Now the interesting thing is what will the dozens of free-loaders do? Can't see them ponying up $25 (?) per night for the Dutch Creek campground.

Great news.

Clive

On a similar matter, I was pleasantly surprised to see a CO having a chat with a group of quaders in the Castle area this past week. I can' t say with any certainty that it was an enforcement issue, but it was sure good to have a CO presence. It's long overdue.

There will be a great uproar from the masses. I hope nothing ugly occurs

I think the only uproar we will see on this from the freeloaders. If something ugly occurs then it will be treated as a crime. Since often these folks don't check on their units for long periods of time they'll not see the warnings posted and only return to the locaton to find empty space.

I think the only uproar we will see on this from the freeloaders. If something ugly occurs then it will be treated as a crime. Since often these folks don't check on their units for long periods of time they'll not see the warnings posted and only return to the locaton to find empty space.

That would be nice. Let's hope the tow trucks get some good business.

• Like 1

Licences must be carried at all times while sportfishing and transporting fish and must be presented immediately to an officer upon request.

That's a quote from the regs. No mention of needing it in print in the three places this is written.

You can sign documents digitally using "'mark up."

Hell, I put offers on houses with digital signatures last summer.

Based on what I've found, If a CO fined you, it wouldn't hold up.

• Like 1

This news is great to hear! This has long been a pet peeve of mine (and now I see that I am not alone).

Attached is the text of a letter I sent to AB Env & Parks last fall in response to their request for public input on the protection of the Castle area.

I think all of the same principles apply to the Oldman/Livingstone area.

Let's hope this isn't a flash-in-the-pan response....

Castle Area Protection.pdf

• Like 2

This is great news! This may be a dumb question, but are the CO's asking for any public assistance with this? I'm not talking vigilantism or anything like that, I'm just thinking if a person was out fishing and they came across a semi-permanent unit tucked back in to the bush, send them a pic and gps co-ordinates?

• Like 3

Use the RAP line. It is a misnomer that the line is limited to exceeding fish limits or out of season activities. You can use it too for industry related problems, like hanging culverts. The worse that could happen is they'll re-direct your call to another department.

It really is up to us to be the assistant eyes and ears to help the enforcement agencies for a variety of violations.

• Like 1

The "squatters" should have no reason to be pissed off. They know that they have been milking it for years and finally have to face the music. Hopefully they don't all apply for seasonal camping at Dutch next year and oust me out of my spot,..I'd be choked!!!

• Like 2

The classic example was the family group that was camped down the Castle. They were forcibly moved from the site they had occupied for 6 months. I saw a TV interview with a woman in the group and she was livid that they had to move. They camp trailers had skirting up, there was a shed built and a deck. So there will be some that are going to be pissed.

"I saw a TV interview with a woman in the group and she was livid that they had to move. They camp trailers had skirting up, there was a shed built and a deck. So there will be some that are going to be pissed."

And yet, somehow, some way, I don't care. :)

• Like 3

So I was out in the same area the last two days. Looks like what many of the squatters did was put up a cheap tent in "their" spot and take their trailers away then brought them back again today for the long weekend. Actually had one give me a hard time this morning passing through to access Racehorse. I just smiled and waved and kept walking.

I would have to think an empty tent, in the middle of nowhere, without anyone present, or any indication someone is occupying it, would have to be considered abandoned and up for grabs.

Or at least damned easy to move across the road and under the trees......

Check the area for trail cams and then toss an open jar of honey or jam inside the tent. (Bacon is far too valuable to waste as bear bait.)

If there is a trail camera nearby, make a print of this and hold it in front of the lens.

rachel-notley-2.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

• Like 4