Fly Fusion Forums

Rockbound Lake

Haven't hiked to Rockbound since I was a kid back in the 70's. We used to catch lots of Cuts back then. I heard the lake was now a Brookie lake and that possibly it winter killed? Any insights? I wanted to take my kids up this summer and it would be great to be able to fish while there too. Any info would be great. Thanks

It's a beautiful hike as you probably know. However the fishing isn't what it used to be, I went up in the eighties with a couple of friends and we couldn't keep the brookies off the hook. I lost count of how many we caught. I heard that the parks no longer stock fish and have left the lakes to self sustain themselves. I went up two years ago and there are still brookies in the lake and they are bigger than in the past, but there are way less of them. Maybe Taylor Lake might be a better option in the park or a lake like Chester in K-country.

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to go up for the scenery for sure but the fishing is important wherever we go... it helps with the scenery if you know what I mean. I know that the parks don't stock anymore, and they should, but that's a whole other topic, but I did hear from someone that they thought it had completely winter killed and I thought that was a bit odd given the winters we have had lately and the depth of this lake. I was hoping to hear from someone who had been up either last summer or the summer before.

Thanks again

I don't think it winter kills. I haven't been in for a few years but we were able to catch fish a few years ago when there were definitely worse winters... As far as I'm concerned, fishing is the bonus! Either way, go for a great hike and give it a try... If you do catch, awesome! If not, you had a great hike!!

It's win win!!

P.S. If you do catch make sure you keep! Need to get rid of all of the non-native/invasive species in BNP!! As well, Brookies are DELICIOUS!

= Win, win, win, win!!

I don't think it winter kills. I haven't been in for a few years but we were able to catch fish a few years ago when there were definitely worse winters... As far as I'm concerned, fishing is the bonus! Either way, go for a great hike and give it a try... If you do catch, awesome! If not, you had a great hike!!

It's win win!!

P.S. If you do catch make sure you keep! Need to get rid of all of the non-native/invasive species in BNP!! As well, Brookies are DELICIOUS!

= Win, win, win, win!!

You and I will never agree on this which is fine but I will stand firm in my belief that we do NOT need to eliminate Non -Natives from these lakes where Natives will not survive.

• Like 2

You and I will never agree on this which is fine but I will stand firm in my belief that we do NOT need to eliminate Non -Natives from these lakes where Natives will not survive.

So let me get this straight, the Brookies are the non-native fish and Cutties are the natives? I know that the Brookies are hard on other fish food and habitat but if I were to eliminate all the Brooks, and if Parks Canada does not have a stocking program...= no fish?? I know it costs a lot to buy a fishing license, I wonder why some of that money isn't going back into the lakes fish supplies? I like to catch Brook Trout, and I like to eat a good sized Brook Trout too but I'd hate to see a lake not have any fish at all...

Mike,

I'll do my best to provide some background... Currently, "one of" PC's (Parks Canada's) mandates (though is seems to change with the direction of the wind) is to try to correct many mistakes of the past and reintroduce native species back into the mtn parks (bison, wolves, ws cutthroat). In the past, brook trout and Rainbows were purposely, sometimes illegally and sometimes by accident put into many mtn alpine lakes. In all circumstances where there were native fish (i.e., ws cutthroat and bull trout) the Brookies (and Rainbows) have pretty much whiped out their populations. There are circumstances where brook trout and rainbows have been "stocked" in lakes that were initially devoid of fish (as Shawn has mentioned). If you do a search ("Hidden Lake" & "Rainbow Lake") you will see some projects a few of us have been involved with where PC have recruited volunteer anglers to help rid (and catch brood stock) in specific systems while electro fishing and gill netting to rid these systems of these invasive/non-native species and reintroduced native ws cutthroat into these systems with a longterm goal of establishing self sustaining populations within the Bow Headwaters system entirely (a lofty goal for sure). Interesting to note, within the mtn parks, the only fish that you are albe to keep are these non-natives. YUM!!

So let me get this straight, the Brookies are the non-native fish and Cutties are the natives? I know that the Brookies are hard on other fish food and habitat but if I were to eliminate all the Brooks, and if Parks Canada does not have a stocking program...= no fish?? I know it costs a lot to buy a fishing license, I wonder why some of that money isn't going back into the lakes fish supplies? I like to catch Brook Trout, and I like to eat a good sized Brook Trout too but I'd hate to see a lake not have any fish at all...

Mike,

I'll do my best to provide some background... Currently, "one of" PC's (Parks Canada's) mandates (though is seems to change with the direction of the wind) is to try to correct many mistakes of the past and reintroduce native species back into the mtn parks (bison, wolves, ws cutthroat). In the past, brook trout and Rainbows were purposely, sometimes illegally and sometimes by accident put into many mtn alpine lakes. In all circumstances where there were native fish (i.e., ws cutthroat and bull trout) the Brookies (and Rainbows) have pretty much whiped out their populations. There are circumstances where brook trout and rainbows have been "stocked" in lakes that were initially devoid of fish (as Shawn has mentioned). If you do a search ("Hidden Lake" & "Rainbow Lake") you will see some projects a few of us have been involved with where PC have recruited volunteer anglers to help rid (and catch brood stock) in specific systems while electro fishing and gill netting to rid these systems of these invasive/non-native species and reintroduced native ws cutthroat into these systems with a longterm goal of establishing self sustaining populations within the Bow Headwaters system entirely (a lofty goal for sure). Interesting to note, within the mtn parks, the only fish that you are albe to keep are these non-natives. YUM!!

Thanks, that would be great to get the lakes back to where they once were...

All this being said, I still am unclear if there are intact fish (Brook, RB, or CT) in Rockbound lake. I would love to catch a few while enjoying the view...

Yes Brookies should still be in Rockbound! Albeit, not usually that big!! That being said, normally they hang out just outside of casting range :P

You might have to be willing to scramble along to get into a better position around the lake...

Let us know how things are up there!

P

All this being said, I still am unclear if there are intact fish (Brook, RB, or CT) in Rockbound lake. I would love to catch a few while enjoying the view...

Cutties were originally stocked in the Lake in 1955 but did not take. The Brookies have been in the lake since 65 so over 50 years. Catch em , eat some if you want..limit is 2 ..but other that leave them alone.

Thumbs up to Hidden and Rainbow lake restorations.

• Like 1

Restore history? What date would you pick. 1890? 1760? 1500? Jurassic? Pre-whiteman? Pre-human?

Just sayin...........

• Like 3

Thanks for your reply, Angler. I appreciate your sarcasm, and I get it... but I guess what I meant to say was that it would be great to see the parks Canada initiatives succeed and see that our fees have been put to good use in a successful way that would benefit many, from the environment to those that recreate in it. Lofty goals for sure but you and I have in our own minds eye, "the way it once was." For me, that takes me back a few years but certainly not pre you and me. Thanks again, I appreciate the humour. Good luck in your fishing season.

I was up to Rockbound last year and though the bookies are not large they are some of the best text book examples I have ever come across. Like Peter said wind and casting can be a problem. Best fishing at the point on the other side of the rock garden.

When it comes to getting rid of introduced species . Peter I was up to hidden lake last fall and there is still Brookies rising in that water system 5 years later I'm not sure what PC plans to do next ?

Paul,

Supposedly still have the "angler" program through The Chateau, but doubt that would ever have an impact... Sad to hear!!

We should talk to Shelly and get in there again!!

P

I was up to hidden lake last fall and there is still Brookies rising in that water system 5 years later I'm not sure what PC plans to do next ?

Our " angler program was the Chateau throwing a few bucks for PR more than anything. I don't believe anything short of the absolute unthinkable will eradicate them all. Do you know of any projects like this that worked. Has Clear Water Lakes been proven ???

Paul,

Supposedly still have the "angler" program through The Chateau, but doubt that would ever have an impact... Sad to hear!!

We should talk to Shelly and get in there again!!

Mike sorry to high jack your post

P

Our " angler program was the Chateau throwing a few bucks for PR more than anything. I don't believe anything short of the absolute unthinkable will eradicate them all. Do you know of any projects like this that worked. Has Clear Water Lakes been proven ???

Sorry if I'm reading between the lines incorrectly here... I've read bits and pieces of the use of piscicides in US National Parks. Was this attempted in Clear Water? Google search revealed very little about the use of piscicides in Parks Canada or really anywhere in Canada for that matter.

What I was talking about where the Devon lakes in Clear water pass. 1/2 hr north of Lake Louise that PC spent much of the 1990s reverting them back to cut trout lakes. Now it is illegal to fish them. So I was wondering if it actually worked or not and when will it be concluded a success of failure.

Also does anyone know why they closed Fish & Moose lake this year ???

I was up to Rockbound last year and though the bookies are not large they are some of the best text book examples I have ever come across. Like Peter said wind and casting can be a problem. Best fishing at the point on the other side of the rock garden.

When it comes to getting rid of introduced species . Peter I was up to hidden lake last fall and there is still Brookies rising in that water system 5 years later I'm not sure what PC plans to do next ?

Thanks for the info, Mayfly. Much appreciated. I really want to get back to this lake and was planning on taking up the fishing gear either way. I assume the rock garden is the south or left side of the lake as you hike in? You mentioned you had been up to Hidden lakes recently. That is an area I would like to explore. What kind of a hike is it to Hidden Lake and can you ride a bike part way?

What I was talking about where the Devon lakes in Clear water pass. 1/2 hr north of Lake Louise that PC spent much of the 1990s reverting them back to cut trout lakes. Now it is illegal to fish them. So I was wondering if it actually worked or not and when will it be concluded a success of failure. Also does anyone know why they closed Fish & Moose lake this year ???

The Devon lakes don't have any fish in them as Charlie and Schindler netted everything out to restore the bug population.