Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Days In Bc

When exactly did these rod days go on sale? I can't remember the exact day I looked. Near the end of March I believe. But all the rod-days for Wigwam were gone for when I was going to Fernie. I thought licenses went on sale Apr 1. I just phoned BC govt line and the person couldn't answer my question. Oh well, the mountain biking is unreal in Fernie.

You have to remember that a portion of rod days go to Guides and shops.

Aren't rod days and classified waters tags different? Rod days are allotted to guides/shops/outfitters that allow them to host clients on the rivers. Classified waters tags are what an angler has to purchase on top of their license in order to fish certain rivers. In this case B.C. has limited the daily classified waters tags available to non-resident, non-guided anglers for the Michel, Wigwam, and Skookumchuck while increasing the number of rod days available. If the classified waters tags for your body of water are sold out for a particular day then you have to find a guide with available rod days in order to fish it.

i assume they went on sale the first day you could buy a license...

since there is no requirement to provide ID, i really do wonder how many of those non-guided days were bought by real people..There is zero information how many days are provided as available per week, or at least that i can find. Did they distribute the days such that the 'better' weeks have more days available, or did they pretty much push all the days to when the guides are off of it?

Shady as F

Well, bcube, my friend. I presume it was weighted towards more availablity during high time, as there are fewer spots available as you move later and later through sept and October. (Also the length of fishable water on the wigwam shortens) If it was all equal, one would presume there would be more slots available in October 16-31 than aug 1-15. (There are 25 in that aug slot and 1 in that October slot)

I punched in various dates and none were blocked out as long as that two week period still had days open (which they all did August 1 onward). This leads me to believe they don't limit the number of anglers on any particular day. It's just per two week period.

There isn't a conspiracy.

But there is no way to tell if these are due to a presumed lack of days in these days, or that they're already booked up.. is that 1 in October due to a presumed less slots, or did someone decide to take 8 friends out that day?

They should really have a table for each classified area indicating a total number of days originally available, remaining and booked. Would be extremely simple to produce.

As mentioned above, i have no idea if there was days in July and we were just too slow, or if there was no days available to us in the first place?

Ya I see your point. If you go to the bc regs page there is a breakdown of the numbers (total) but no way to see which days were purchased.

Would also be nice to know, as maybe aug 2 has 100 people on the river whereas aug 3 has 2. That may influence your choice of dates.