Fly Fusion Forums

Nippers What's The Best I Think I Might Have Found Them

Got home from a awesome skunking after fighting with the wind all night and a new Rod.I was super frustrated so I threw the Rod in the back seat when I got home I took all my stuff in and my nippers where down stairs so I went to the old lady's makeup bag and she had these fancy nail clippers that are like pliers and kind of come to a "v"at the bottom of them man was I surprised they cut all the flies off like nothing and with the "v" part you can get right to the eye either hers are going to missing or I'm going to find them at shoppers.I wish I could post pics of them but I can't. she said they use them at the nail salon that's why she bought them and she said she paid 15 $ check them out if you can there awesome.just a FYI

Carried the cheap ones for years. They seemed to dull quickly, sure lost a few of those. I think the best pair I have are a set of SIMMs that was a xmas ift. Very sharp and handy. You can also buy replacement blades for them which is nice but I often sharpened the cheap ones after a season. The ones the OP described also are nice but bulkier. I have a pair on my tying desk that I use for general cutting. They would be really nice for cutting heavier tippets.

Abel or Simms. Don't cheap out on nippers, it's the one tool you use constantly. I like the Abel the best as they cut more flush than the Simms. I still like the Simms as they're less $$$ and you can replace the cutters on them yourself. I have two pairs of the Abels (one is my wife's) that need to be sent back so that they can be fit with new cutters. I seem to always think of sending them off at the worst time, like right now, the start of the season!

• Like 1